Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Boat Mechanic for a Card Rebuild in SGV?

Default Boat Mechanic for a Card Rebuild in SGV?

Anyone can refer me to a good mechanic to help me to do a carb rebuild on a Johnson 70hp 2 stroke? Thinking its about time to give it a tune up. prefer it in the san gabriel valley.

Thanks

If you find anyone let me know. My buddy is looking for the same in SGV.

i've used one guy in Azusa for my boat work and he's been pretty good, but i thought a bit on the pricier side so i wanted to see if anyone else knows anyone.

I may try to do the rebuild myself as it looks fairly doable.

call jose 562-607-9210. Great mechanic, Tell him Surge refereed you

If you are still looking.... Joel Rode used to be in Glendora, now in Upland. Maybe he's in your location range. (909) 931-7440 http://www.rodeswayboats.com/

I'd do it for ya but our distances

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    I'd do it for ya but our distances
    thanks for the thought. too bad we are so far. I don't even know if i need a carb rebuild but it just always stalls at low rpm at idle. At any RPM over 2k, it runs fine, but just rough idles. Although, i wouldn't mind a second opinion. If you ever want to fish with me on my boat and you don't feel like dragging yours out, you are always invited!
    Last edited by flyhigh123; 05-22-2013 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    thanks for the thought. too bad we are so far. I don't even know if i need a carb rebuild but it just always stalls at low rpm at idle. At any RPM over 2k, it runs fine, but just rough idles. Although, i wouldn't mind a second opinion. If you ever want to fish with me on my boat and you don't feel like dragging yours out, you are always invited!
    Thanks Joe.

Sounds like A typical 2 stroke carb to me.

Your due for fuel lines/ fuel pump/ carb rebuilt.

I suspect pressure issues.

Under high rpms your pistons xreat so much vacuum it pulls enough fuel.

Under low rpms your fuel pressure isn't sufficient.

Whatever the cause, while your there take cars of all three

I've got a 90hp v4 evenrude, I ordered the carb kits on eBay and did them myself,I am by no means a marine mechanic,it really wasn't that hard,I think I had to improvise one tool during the job but the whole ordeal was pretty straight forward and easy,you just have to take your time,I'm sure you can do it and save a couple of hundred buck! I've also changed the starter,exchanged the VRO unit,and changed out the coils,ect..Google and YouTube are invaluable.

Cya TunaVic