Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007 Chevy Avalanche Rear End Differential Went bad

Default 2007 Chevy Avalanche Rear End Differential Went bad

so, been off the water for about 3 weeks, on my way back from my Lake Isabella trip, the next day I noticed a humming noise comming from underneath my truck. Couldn't figure out excactly where, so, took to my dads a few days later, and the noise was getting a bit more defined. Anyhow, confirmed it was coming from the rear end, and after taking the rear Axles off, the differential gears out, found out that the pinion bearings went bad. They were pitted, and the race's were scorched. All the gears where fine, not noticable damage. So, I ended up replacing all 4 bearing in the differential, and each axle bearing. I only got to work on it over the 2 weekends, but got it all back together and she is quite again....In all I spent about 130 buck for the bearings/seals. I am pretty happy about it, cuz I believe to have this done, would have gone over 1200 bucks...So, tomorrow it's the mid for me and the wife, time to get back on the water..!!!

Anyone else have this experience ?? Not sure if It's a chevy thing, I have never had a rear end go out on me, and I put over 200,000 on a 2004 durango..should have kept it..lol My Avalanche only has 90,000, but I bought it used, so not sure what the previous owner was hauling or doing with it.....hope this is a one time deal for me, or I will be going back to a Dodge..lol
    Last edited by 661Bass'n; 05-17-2013 at 08:11 AM.

kinda weird for just the bearings to fail, could have been previous owner neglect or misuse, what brand were the old bearings that you took out?
    Maybe junk bearings, also does it have a factory limited slip? those are notorious for takin a sheet...we call em gov bombs..lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zit49L-7_A
    any how, sounds like you got it back together, as long as your backlash and pattern is the same before removal you should be fine, Good luck 2mro @ the mid.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishbones View Post
    kinda weird for just the bearings to fail, could have been previous owner neglect or misuse, what brand were the old bearings that you took out?
    Maybe junk bearings, also does it have a factory limited slip? those are notorious for takin a sheet...we call em gov bombs..lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Zit49L-7_A
    any how, sounds like you got it back together, as long as your backlash and pattern is the same before removal you should be fine, Good luck 2mro @ the mid.

ya, I am not sure why either. But, I think the previous owner must have had someone work done on it. I have neve seen paint writing on the gears like this one did. I don't believe these gears were factory installed. May have been an after market thing, I can't remember what the bearing were, but the carrier bearings were fine, but changed them anyways, as with the wheel bearings.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0355.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	40764

this is what it looked like on one of the Bearings..

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0355.jpg 
Views:	577 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	40764

this is what it looked like on one of the Bearings..
    Looks like the old owner let the rear diff run dry. Or else ran it through some deep water and the breather took in water. How did the gear oil look?

that bearings pitted good... I was thinking, water in the diff too, or the vehicle sat for a while..
    Last edited by Fishbones; 05-17-2013 at 05:13 PM.

so, been off the water for about 3 weeks, on my way back from my Lake Isabella trip, the next day I noticed a humming noise comming from underneath my truck. Couldn't figure out excactly where, so, took to my dads a few days later, and the noise was getting a bit more defined. Anyhow, confirmed it was coming from the rear end, and after taking the rear Axles off, the differential gears out, found out that the pinion bearings went bad. They were pitted, and the race's were scorched. All the gears where fine, not noticable damage. So, I ended up replacing all 4 bearing in the differential, and each axle bearing. I only got to work on it over the 2 weekends, but got it all back together and she is quite again....In all I spent about 130 buck for the bearings/seals. I am pretty happy about it, cuz I believe to have this done, would have gone over 1200 bucks...So, tomorrow it's the mid for me and the wife, time to get back on the water..!!!

Anyone else have this experience ?? Not sure if It's a chevy thing, I have never had a rear end go out on me, and I put over 200,000 on a 2004 durango..should have kept it..lol My Avalanche only has 90,000, but I bought it used, so not sure what the previous owner was hauling or doing with it.....hope this is a one time deal for me, or I will be going back to a Dodge..lol
    I work at a gmc dealer and I have not seen a avalanche come in for that problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    I work at a gmc dealer and I have not seen a avalanche come in for that problem.
    Well, I hope that is a good sign and my problem was isolated or maybe the previous owner was driving the crap out of it or neglected it in some way. I tend to think it may have been going out when I actually bought it, I have not owned for a full year just yet....Thanks for the info..

Well, I hope that is a good sign and my problem was isolated or maybe the previous owner was driving the crap out of it or neglected it in some way. I tend to think it may have been going out when I actually bought it, I have not owned for a full year just yet....Thanks for the info..
    I work as the shipping and receiving for the parts so I know what parts are coming in. so if you need help on some parts price just pm me and I will give you the number to my work so you have them look up the parts by your vin# on the car.

Yeah its a simple wear issue. His did the fluid look that came out? Milky or oily?

We have a fleet of 30 trucks. Its a wash of which have this issue.

Bearings fail. Plain and simple. Work gets a couple a year for rear end bearing jobs. No big deal. Cool you were handy enough to do it.

I wouldn't say you had a lemon set a bearings. Just sometimes equipment doesn't last. Sometimes neglect.

Fact is you fixed it now. Should be fine. ...

Dodge? Good lord no

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast