Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Somewhere in San Diego 5/15 am Low Tide sesh

Default Somewhere in San Diego 5/15 am Low Tide sesh

Dropped the little one off at school yesterday morning and headed straight to my hunting grounds. Today I was armed with my Lamiglass G 1311 MH, Van Staal VS100 spooled with Sufix 832 15lb braid in Camo color, 20 inches of 12 lb Fluoro leader and the LC 110 Metallic Sardine tied on the end. Hit the sand right before 8:00am at the peak of low tide. Water looked good until I got close and saw the not so friendly eel grass floating all around. Tried to work the LC anyways but after about 30 minutes I had to take it off. I looked to my left and noticed a decent trough about 50 yards away. It was low tide but this looked good and seemed to have some pretty deep water in areas. Tied on a 3/8oz War Baits jig head and then threaded on a MC 4 inch Swimbait nice and straight. Headed to the structure and started working it. Got bumped right away so that was a good sign. About my 10th cast in I take up the slack in my line, get about two cranks of the handle in and THUMP! I can tell it's the right kind. Some good head shaking going on and this fish was ready was for battle. Made about 4 decent runs and made my drag sing, love that sound. Get the fish close and know its going to be another good butt. Got it to dry land for a pic and measure. This one taped out right above 27 inches. Removed the hook and sent the flattie on it's way back home. ANother successful morning on a 0.37' low tide. A couple pics for ya. Thanks for reading!!

Gear Shot

Gotta love the short sessions!
    The salad has been just nasty this year. I'm cringing at the thought of 68 degree water temps and the kelp breaking off...
    That's a good looking flatty, thanks for sharing.
    Robert
    <><

Thanks. It seems like every single shoreline down here in SD is covered with kelp stringers and eel grass right now. I feel like if I miss a day of fishing it's going to be the only clean day that week. Went back out in the afternoon and it was unfishable.

Beast I tell ya! Very nice! The stradic that you sold me last year is an amazing reel...I cannot imagine how much more amazing the van staal is! Thanks for posting Bob!
    Last edited by skunked4life; 05-16-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Awesome fish there Bob! Way to change it up to get the bite. Nice rod/reel combo too.

Congrats on your QUALITY legal!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
    Thanks. It seems like every single shoreline down here in SD is covered with kelp stringers and eel grass right now. I feel like if I miss a day of fishing it's going to be the only clean day that week. Went back out in the afternoon and it was unfishable.
    The sight of huge mounds of kelp lining the shorelines of SD is something i'm all too familiar with
    Glad to see you were able to work around it and still land a nice fish.
    Congratulation on the beautiful catch and thanks for the report!

-Daniel

Way to work with the conditions you were delt. Nice beast of a flattie and I love that reel! Thanks for the report and pics!

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Beast I tell ya! Very nice! The stradic that you sold me last year is an amazing reel...I cannot imagine how much more amazing the van staal is! Thanks for posting Bob!
    Glad it is working for you. I wouldn't say that the Van Staal is that much better than the Stradic. If the Van Staal wasn't fully sealed then I probably would never have bought it. It's just nice not having to service my reel every couple weeks or so.

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I want your reel!! Except the no bail thing is kind of weird to me and I don't see how it works. Congrats on the legal butt! Keep those reports coming.

-Peter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast