Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monday Funday

Default Monday Funday

Woke up this morning and made a last minute decision to hit the beach. We got to our spot around 8:00 and talked to someone we saw fishing and they said they had seen a lot of life before we got there. As soon as I cast I'm watching rays and a lone Leo swim through the surf. It already seemed fishy!
    We threw the LC's for about a couple of hours and weren't getting hit anywhere so we decided to head to another spot. When we showed up there were a lot more people fishing than i thought on a monday We set our stuff down and started throwing the LC's again and still couldn't get hit. I was watching the guy next to us and he was pulling in one after another on a twin tail grub. Seeing as I didn't have any I set up for Sandcrabs on a Carolina Rig and so did my Dad. After a few casts my Dad was on with one that pulled drag forever it seemed like. It was walking him up the beach and while I was watching I threw out a fresh Sandcrab and within moments BAM! A big hit! It was a double hookup! My fish starts pulling tons of line and I'm thinking we both have NICE fish. I eventually bring mine to the skinny water and when it got closer I could see it was a huge Spotfin Croaker. I got impatient of waiting for waves to bring it in so I walked out a little and my hook came out. I reached down and got a hold of the fish a couple times but it was too quick for me At least I got to touch it haha.. and it was my first SP Croaker and an awesome fight. After I lose it I look up the beach and my Dad loses his fish the same way I lose mine! There was nothing to do but laugh it off. His ended up being a shovelnose. We obviously knew that the sandcrabs were working and almost every cast after was a bite. My next Fish was my PB perch measuring out to 13". After that we couldn't get anymore around that size but they were still biting. We ended up catching a few more perch and even ended up with 4 Beans ( No Pics ). After a couple hours or so my Dad hooks up on another nice fish and it's ripping drag just like the first two. When he finally got it to the skinny water it was another big Spotfin. Definitely a couple inches over the one I had lost. After that it seemed like the fish got smarter. Pin the tail they eat the head. Pin the head they eat the tail We finally decided to leave when the wind picked up. Hope everyone had a Monday Funday!

AHHHHHH!!

His tail was torn up!!

A couple jr. footballs...

One of the Spotfins..
    Last edited by TheNotoriousSkunk; 05-14-2013 at 08:40 PM.

WFO on the perch and croakas! Nice job on switching it up from the LC and scoring some nice fish. Thanks for the report

Good looking SFC. Good to see fish caught on bait.
    DR

Looks like you had a blast! Nice spotfin! Whatever was chewing up that BSP's tail must have been pretty big. Go out there and find it!

Very nice job switching things up.
    The spots are here and they are big.
    I may try to get a few this weekend, at low tide, from the surf.
    Swell is supposed to be big though.
    Thanks for the report,
    Robert
    <><

Thumbs up

Nice job on the Spotfin... I still need to add one of those to my surf species list.
    But I don't think they hit the LC though.

Nice footballs and beautiful spotfin. Been seeing a lot of reports and those fish in the water lately. Like Wingnut said, can't seem to entice them to bite the on the LC. Thanks for the report and pictures!

-Peter

That's a very nice looking spotfin. Glad to hear both you and your dad were able to hook one
    One of these days I need to put down the lc and try throwing some sandcrabs on light gear.
    I really want to experience the fight from a nice bean or spotfin on light gear.. looks like it would be a ton of fun.
    Thanks for the report!

-Daniel

I was the guy next to you guys in the Lakers jersey, It was a great day of fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by LbcLakers View Post
    I was the guy next to you guys in the Lakers jersey, It was a great day of fishing!
    That's awesome haha you were nailing them man!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast