Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/10 SWAT - Putting one on the board for the young guns

Default 5/10 SWAT - Putting one on the board for the young guns

Knew I needed to stick it to the old-timers with all the texts we've been recieving from Wingnut about their catches. And I knew I had to go big.
    Headed out to the surf this morning before work armed with a Rapala CD-26 in mackerel color tied to a Penn Torque 300, which was clamped on a Seeker Ulua 93h-9 1/4' rod.
    Straight 80lb braid, cuz again, I wasn't messing around.
    Decided to hit one of my old favorite spots.
    Feet were on the sand at gray light, and I began fan-casting a section that I know has good structure.
    On about my 8th cast, I feel a bump. Went to set the hook but missed it. Damn. Felt like a good fish.
    Kept attacking the area with the CD-26, and about 10 more casts later... FISH ON!!!!
    This thing immediately started ripping drag like nothing I'd ever experienced before.... and on the buttoned down Torque 300 at that!!
    It took me up and down the beach about 100 yards each way. Twice getting catching me up in kelp. Thankfully the 80lb braid cut right through and kept me in the action.
    Finally it seemed to start easing up, and I was able to put some line back on the reel. Managed to get it in the surf line and noticed a big gray/silvery looking body. Sweet! I'm thinking I had a 50+ white seabass on the line. Unfortunately, it spooked once it hit the surf and ran straight out to sea, taking back every inch of line I had made up in what had to be 30 minutes of fighting. I thought to myself "weird.... I've caught WSB's from the surf before but never had one take a straight run off shore." Maybe it was how the bigger models fought. Who knows. I continue to focus on gaining line back, but its a struggle. Every inch I get, it takes a 10 yards.
    Finally, after what had to be another 30 minutes of fighting, I can feel this behemoth starting to get tired.
    Slowly, but surely my spool starts to fill back up with the 80lb braid. Man, these Torque reels really live up to their names. High speed retrievel without losing any grinding power.
    Another 15 minutes pass, and I can see this monster splashing around in the surf line. At this point, I knew it was mine. I slowly starting to back up onto the beach (at this point, you can imagine the crowd that was surrounding me) in order to slide this thing gently up onto the sand with the push of the waves. There was no way I was letting this one get away.
    Finally, FINALLY!!!!! I beach it. As the crowd rushes in, I hand one of the bystanders my camera to capture this moment on film (or digital media I guess).
    Here it is, the fruits of my labor......
    My first EVER.....

Baby dolphin

Snapped a few pics, then sent it back on its way.

And the release....

Thanks everyone for reading.
    And Old-timers..... SUCKIT!!!!

Young Guns Rule!!!!

XOXO
    Mike

Wink

Wow, the length these Rookies and Young Guns will go, just to get a few points...

May I remind you the rules of engagement... we are trying to catch "FISH", not "Mammals".
    Penalty: Deduct 50 points from Team Rookies and Young Whippersnappers!

Current scoring as of today 5/10
    Team Veterans = 35 Points
    Team Rookies = 15 Points

Thanks for the nice laugh to start my morning, Jedi Mind Tricks doesn't work on me, lol

Flying back in a couple of hours... my turn in the surf this weekend.

XOXO
    Arthur

Holy flippers Batman! I'm sitting here reading this thinkin..."okay, he's breaking out a Torque and an Ulua for the surf. He's going DEEEEEPPPP! Then through you're story I'm figuring it's gotta be a ghost. Now that is one for the books. Great job on the release! Not sure how to score that bad boy.

Nice goin' youngin!
    Don

HOLY?!?!?!

Seriously? Was it foul hooked? Great job! I think that counts as 100 points and a super exotic!

This is such an insane catch! LOL! I don't think I have ever even thought about the possibility of landing a dolphin before!
    I guess anything really is possible. That's gotta be a first! Congrats on the epic fight and catch!

-Danny

Hahahahahahahaha.........Now deduct 50 more points from the youngins for bullshitting!
    Last edited by Nipple Twister; 05-11-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Congratulations!

Fish Story of a Lifetime!

Great catch, and even moreso,,,, what a great (sittin on the edge of your seat) story!!!

I'm thinking small shark for sure then as the pictures come up, I'm thinking medium shark,,,,,,,,,but to all our suprise........... you bring damn FLIPPER back from the grave!! Great release wtg!!!!

Daaayyyyum dude, that was SUPER impressive, and totally freaky at the same time. Definitely a story for the books and a lifetime, with pics to prove it!! Thanks for sharing the report, and I hope the little guy is ok, and found his mommy again.

Nate

WOW
    i was not expecting that

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast