Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snakeheads, anyone?

1. Default Snakeheads, anyone?

Just spotted this neat article from the WashingtonPost. Very cool infographic on Snakeheads in the US.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...tml?tid=rr_mod

Wasn't really sure where to post this, although there have been a few discussions about people catching snakeheads in SoCal so I figured this would be appropriate. I think Bowler caught one in the past and it was discussed here:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ight=snakehead

But one thing snakeheads don't do — contrary to some news reports — is crawl overland.

I want some snakeheads here now! lol

As I've said somewhere in the past, Northern Snakeheads really do not drastically impact a well established ecosystem. The Giant Snakeheads are the ones that the US doesn't need. Those guys do in fact bite and tear their prey apart.

In Japan Northern snakeheads are well established in some of the country's rivers and co-habituate with bass.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    In Japan Northern snakeheads are well established in some of the country's rivers and co-habituate with bass.
    You can also say that about the common carp here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    True. .

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Just spotted this neat article from the WashingtonPost. Very cool infographic on Snakeheads in the US.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...tml?tid=rr_mod

Wasn't really sure where to post this, although there have been a few discussions about people catching snakeheads in SoCal so I figured this would be appropriate. I think Bowler caught one in the past and it was discussed here:
    http://fishingnetwork.net/forum4/sho...ight=snakehead

But one thing snakeheads don't do — contrary to some news reports — is crawl overland.
    yes I did. I have not been back to the pond since I got it. I remember seeing a catfish with orange lips in the pond too.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    yes I did. I have not been back to the pond since I got it. I remember seeing a catfish with orange lips in the pond too.
    I remember that you had a post about that snake head. Know just where that pond is and it is still full of water and deep, would pass by it everyday on my way home from work.

I used to have a large giant snakehead in a tank in the 80's before I moved to Cali... It was 2' long when I sold him to go in a 3600 gallon doughnut shaped tank over the bar Ina restaurant. They took my tiger shovel nose cat and clown knife... Also 2' long. All three grew to 3' long the last time I saw them on a trip back east. The snakehead was ferocious! I would buy bait minnows by the pound to feed all my fish... Piranhas too!
    The snakehead would take in air and when he's truck, the air would explode out to further confuse the hapless minnows.
    Very cool fish and would undoubtedly be a great game fish, albeit an unwanted one. On my visit to china, they had them live in the markets and are highly regarded for food.

That was a bit chin' cool fish and I really enjoyed having him.

Ferocious!

I saw Andrew Zimmern on bizarre foods trying to bow fish for the snakehead in the Potomac river a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkShadow View Post
    Yes, but carp taste like mud....snakehead is DELICIOUS!

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    I saw Andrew Zimmern on bizarre foods trying to bow fish for the snakehead in the Potomac river a few weeks ago.
    Zimmern has been killin it lately with the rifle!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast