Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Mammoth Opener weekend

Sounds like a good trip to me. Like Joshua said I use to be like that also running and gunning to try and catch as much as I can but forgetting to enjoy and take in the moment. As u get older u will eventually slow down and enjoy it more.

I fished South Lake and it was all you wanted. Nothing big, 16-18" being the bigger ones, but there were quite a few beautiful holdover fish and two that had smaller hook jaws. Just get away from the crowds and a 100+ fish day was not a problem. Don't be afraid to get muddy and wet, the shoreline in some areas was nasty.

Quote Originally Posted by WishICouldFish View Post
    I fished South Lake and it was all you wanted. Nothing big, 16-18" being the bigger ones, but there were quite a few beautiful holdover fish and two that had smaller hook jaws. Just get away from the crowds and a 100+ fish day was not a problem. Don't be afraid to get muddy and wet, the shoreline in some areas was nasty.
    Yea I almost went up there. I went to intake 2 and Sabrina instead on the way home. I will probably go up there when I go next month.

I'm just jealous that I moved away for school and can't go tothe sierras for at least another year. All I have to say is that if I caught 100 fish on an opener I would be pissed because that is a lot of small stockers. I ha e fished south lake in the fall and caught 50 plus trout with nothing over 16 inches and it was fun. However, I've gone back and caught 10 fish with a few 3 plus pounders and it was great. Personally for the last 5 years I'd rather be throwing for my trophy brown which is still stuck at 4.5 pounds out ta rush creek.

I fished the Upper Owens for 4 hours and it was a futile effort to catch fish,,,caught one small stocker and no one else was having much luck...Water was dirty and weeds on every cast..Compared to all the past years there were very few fishermen on the river... When I left at 1030 there were only six fishermen on the river......I did good fishing Rock Creek, catching 4 fish that were 2 1/2 pounds. Talked to numerous people that fish Rock Creek lake and all got skunked....This was my 43rd straight opener and overall the 2nd worst opener,,,, last year was the worst....

Quote Originally Posted by retired96 View Post
    I fished the Upper Owens for 4 hours and it was a futile effort to catch fish,,,caught one small stocker and no one else was having much luck...Water was dirty and weeds on every cast..Compared to all the past years there were very few fishermen on the river... When I left at 1030 there were only six fishermen on the river......I did good fishing Rock Creek, catching 4 fish that were 2 1/2 pounds. Talked to numerous people that fish Rock Creek lake and all got skunked....This was my 43rd straight opener and overall the 2nd worst opener,,,, last year was the worst....
    At least I'm not the only one that feels that way. To hot this year in my opinion. Hopefully the weather next year will be better.

Joshua and Cambofisher have it right... It's not about the quantity, though no one wants to get skunked. It's about the quality of the experience. Bro, you were up the eastside! Clean air, cool vistas, and a chance to unwind in perfect places. Don't get hinked up on numbers. It's not about the destination, it's about the journey.

Forget the numbers ..those waters up the 395 hold some big brown trout I can get my rainbow fix anywhere water temp permitting. Do your homework and you can get one. Iv been after mine for awhile but I'm stuck at 4lbs which is still a nice brown! Lower twin kicked out 4 tens 2 9s and a 17 pound brown in on week. Go get em boys!

it was an extremely slow opener, it isnt about numbers but when your used to an average number of fish and all of a sudden that number drops off you for sure notice it. i fished upper twin, lower twin, didnt even attempt the zoo at robinson. slow on the res but the fish we pulled out were between 2.5-4.5 lbs. i was in bridgeport from 26th-1st then hit the loop. rush was fished out so the numbers were way down but did pull a nice cuttie and a few decent browns. silver was dead unless you were fishing alger inlet. the fish you did catch were stocker dinks but still fun. fished grant nailed a 2.5 brown a 3lb brown that was by the marina. also fished grant from the rush creek inlet. only hit 1 bow. fished the private housing docks at gull. you could see tons of fish but the bite was off. they looked to be spawning and fighting in the shallows. i hooked 1 with a slammer and 1 with a mepps in an hours worth of chuckin those. i also had some meat out in the water and nothing. fished june for a few hours and got 1 bow. the weather in the loop was really nice in the daytime and night got to freezing. woke up wwith ice on my tent every day. still incredible visit to the loop just slow fishing wise. i fished bishop creek and intake 2 and did very well as far as numbers but if you werent in the shade you were on fire. just a lil insight to my opener. funner than anything could ever do at home and with all the best people on earth, my crew and everyone else i came across. except for being robbed at upper twin witch made the cover of all the local media and newspapers. check it out if ya get a chance. paul harlow grand theft, dui, loaded fire arm, drugs... we nailed that dirtbag!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345