Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Opener weekend

Quote Originally Posted by SierraPeaks View Post
    Bridgeport Res was on fire as was Crowley. At least from my hourly reports from buddies there. Fishing is a strange thing. Especially trout fishing. Hot for some...cold for others. It's not like getting into a school of tuna and the boat's a madhouse. But hey...you caught fish. So it's all good...right ?

I heard about Bridgeport being great. But from what I was told by many guys up there the majority of people at Crowley were doing horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    The bar for having a good trout fishing trip seems really unreasonably high for some anymore. I guess the older you are the more you've seen and realize that the norm is not always having 100 fish days, if you get your limit in a day it's a good day in my opinion and sitting there picking off stocked trout by the hundreds proves nothing from a fisherman standpoint or from the type of worm your using or your skills, you just got lucky to be there when that school is just hanging around, not much skill involved there.

In my mind the Sierra's are not about catching a bunch of 4+ pound fish or chasing the Alpers trucks (I do miss the Adopt a Creek plantings when they were in their prime if you could get a fish before the Bishop locals got them all). This isn't fishing SARL, Irvine, Corona or the County planted lakes.
    Anywhere you fish for trout in so cal is 95% stocked fish so it doesn't matter. Just this was the worst opener I've ever experienced. Some may think I did awesome but usually I do better

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    I heard about Bridgeport being great. But from what I was told by many guys up there the majority of people at Crowley were doing horrible.
    It's all a matter of who you talk to...right Huck ?

It's all a matter of who you talk to...right Huck ?
    Yeah thats true. Enough about the sierras its time for a trip to Utah!

It's just was not ideal conditions for an opener...lakes have been all ice free for awhile, hot weather, a BIG FULL MOON, low water conditions. This translates to fish good and fed leading up to the opener, being deep all day, coming up in the evening and on the extreme chew under the bright moonlight. In my experiences with this situation you need to be out as early and late as the laws permit. All the time in between is just time to play horseshoes and drink beer. Gotta adapt to the situation cause it does vary from year to year :) AND fishing is called fishing; not catching. Sounds like a decent trip anyways...Be up in 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    Yeah thats true. Enough about the sierras its time for a trip to Utah!
    Sweet ! Where ya goin' ? Panguitch ? Flaming Gorge ? Strawberry Reservoir ?

Sweet ! Where ya goin' ? Panguitch ? Flaming Gorge ? Strawberry Reservoir ?
    Ice came off Panguitch last week. Ill be there this weekend putting on my usual clinic. So if any of you so cal trout chasers want to learn something let me know my rates are reasonable. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vegas fish slayer View Post
    ice came off panguitch last week. Ill be there this weekend putting on my usual clinic. So if any of you so cal trout chasers want to learn something let me know my rates are reasonable. Lol
    ha ha ha!!!!

It was pretty much off the hook in my area....I was working harder at drinking beer than fishing and caught 44 at South Lake. The few groups I talked to crushed it at Crowley...I mean crushed it. There are now four confirmed 10+ Browns that came out of Lower Twin in Bridgeport over the weekend. One of my pro staffers and former employees fished Convict and their best 6 fish weighed just under 20lbs and two of them were over 4lbs. I was in flip flops and a tee shirt and BBQ'd on a beach. I considered this opener was amazing. If you did poorly you were in the wrong spot or using the wrong thing...end of story.
    Last edited by Sierra_Smitty; 04-29-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra_Smitty View Post
    It was pretty much off the hook in my area....I was working harder at drinking beer than fishing and caught 44 at South Lake. The few groups I talked to crushed it at Crowley...I mean crushed it. There are now four confirmed 10+ Browns that came out of Lower Twin in Bridgeport over the weekend. One of my pro staffers and former employees fished Convict and their best 6 fish weighed just under 20lbs and two of them were over 4lbs. I was in flip flops and a tee shirt and BBQ'd on a beach. I considered this opener was amazing. If you did poorly you were in the wrong spot or using the wrong thing...end of story.
    Naw I wasn't using the wrong thing. Mini jigs and worms are what slay the fish. Yea I may have had a good trip in some people's view but in mine it was just bad. My uncle has been going to the opener for about 25 years and this was his worst trip ever also. Anyways at least I got to enjoy the view and catch fish. I will be back up for the trout law derby in May. Hopefully they don't say they put in the big boys and none get caught. They say they aren't putting in anything under 5 lbs for it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast