Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Opener weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I used to be the same way. I set a goal of 100 fish for the opener. It was accomplished more than once, but it requires alot of energy. Running up and down the 395 fishing as many pools, holes, undercuts as possible. I was so focused on running to the next spot that I couldnt enjoy where I was at. Once you realize it isnt about the fish, it is about the experience, you will always have a great opener. That sounds so lame coming from me, but I am getting there. Dont get me wrong, I am always ready to hook into some quality fish. I guess I am officially becoming OLD. I said old not mature. You are entitled to your opinion. If it sucked this year compared to other years, that is just an observation. I am sure a slow opener beats anything else you would have been doing.
    Yes I have been there on the opener and have caught over 100 fish. I am going back in may for the trout law derby so hopefully it will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHuck View Post
    Missed you at Intake 2 this year. We went in the afternoon instead of the morning.
    We drove by Intake 2 around 6PM. Looked crowded. We also drove up to North Lake just to check the snow level. Almost no snow. I have always wanted to hit up north lake for opener when you have to hike in. I am guessing North Lake was not as productive.

Hmm... I know one group I talked to had a boat on Crowley, and the others fished the shore at Greenbanks. Both said they did well. I saw pictures of 2 7+ ponders from Crowley as well. I did here Convict and June were on the slow side though. Only 1 way for me to find out... get up there and fish it myself! Leaving Thursday!!

Quote Originally Posted by sierraslam View Post
    Hmm... I know one group I talked to had a boat on Crowley, and the others fished the shore at Greenbanks. Both said they did well. I saw pictures of 2 7+ ponders from Crowley as well. I did here Convict and June were on the slow side though. Only 1 way for me to find out... get up there and fish it myself! Leaving Thursday!!
    From talking to everyone it seems like Crowley was the best. I haven't seen any pictures or anything just talk about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KidTrout View Post
    From talking to everyone it seems like Crowley was the best. I haven't seen any pictures or anything just talk about it.
    Bridgeport Res was on fire as was Crowley. At least from my hourly reports from buddies there. Fishing is a strange thing. Especially trout fishing. Hot for some...cold for others. It's not like getting into a school of tuna and the boat's a madhouse. But hey...you caught fish. So it's all good...right ?

you shouldnt whine at least you got to go, if youre hunting big fish you half to fish the bigger lakes and fish from a boat , thats the way it is. if you fish the tourist spots that are easy shore access youre competing with alot of other anglers that are all looking for the big fish. ,,,,,,,,,,,,me i got to fish pvr fri afternoon with 1000 other people then had to make the drive home while i passed hundreds of cars and boats heading north , i should have been the one crying about it,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    you shouldnt whine at least you got to go, if youre hunting big fish you half to fish the bigger lakes and fish from a boat , thats the way it is. if you fish the tourist spots that are easy shore access youre competing with alot of other anglers that are all looking for the big fish. ,,,,,,,,,,,,me i got to fish pvr fri afternoon with 1000 other people then had to make the drive home while i passed hundreds of cars and boats heading north , i should have been the one crying about it,,,,lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Yea I'm just going to start bringing my float tube. But there is just so much stuff in the truck.

Quote Originally Posted by SierraPeaks View Post
    Bridgeport Res was on fire as was Crowley. At least from my hourly reports from buddies there. Fishing is a strange thing. Especially trout fishing. Hot for some...cold for others. It's not like getting into a school of tuna and the boat's a madhouse. But hey...you caught fish. So it's all good...right ?
    Yea that's what I heard. Those 2 places seemed like the place to be.

The bar for having a good trout fishing trip seems really unreasonably high for some anymore. I guess the older you are the more you've seen and realize that the norm is not always having 100 fish days, if you get your limit in a day it's a good day in my opinion and sitting there picking off stocked trout by the hundreds proves nothing from a fisherman standpoint or from the type of worm your using or your skills, you just got lucky to be there when that school is just hanging around, not much skill involved there.

In my mind the Sierra's are not about catching a bunch of 4+ pound fish or chasing the Alpers trucks (I do miss the Adopt a Creek plantings when they were in their prime if you could get a fish before the Bishop locals got them all). This isn't fishing SARL, Irvine, Corona or the County planted lakes.

[QUOTE=SierraPeaks;670431]Bridgeport Res was on fire as was Crowley. At least from my hourly reports from buddies there. Fishing is a strange thing. Especially trout fishing. Hot for some...cold for others. It's not like getting into a school of tuna and the boat's a madhouse. But hey...you caught fish. So it's all good...right ?[/QUOTE

YGM

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast