Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mammoth Opener weekend

Default Mammoth Opener weekend

This in my opinion was one of the worst openers ever. Also it was just so hot outside it seemed like it pushed the fish deeper. We started at convict lake and its usually every cast or at least every other cast I would get a hot but not this year. I only managed 6 for being there for 2 hours. I did manage to get the biggest one for my group for the weekend there though. It was only 2 1/2 lbs. then we went to silver and caught about 20 total for all of us (c&red). We then tried June for an hour and I got 3. The we went to Lundy for nothing. After that went to convict for the afternoon for nothing. All of the fish weren't even a pound. All of this talk in the papers of stocking big ones and I barely saw any big ones. It's getting worse every year it seems. Sunday we went to intake 2 and caught a bunch of small ones and then went to Sabrina which is so low that its 2 lakes now and I caught like 20. Nothing big. All of the fish were caught on Trigger worms in various colors. You can buy them on jmscustomrodholders.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	40430  

Seems like you did very well and are still disappointed?

Glass half empty?

Quote Originally Posted by EL_CHIDO View Post
    Seems like you did very well and are still disappointed?

Glass half empty?
    We usually catch like 50 fish a piece opening day not 15-20. Also we usually get some 4 or 5 lbers.

I heard from 2 different sources that Crowley was off the hook. Bait fishermen are happy to catch there 5 and go home though. Lot's of limits of 2 pound trout was the word I heard.

With all the plastic worms to choose from ... how did you get onto "Trigger Worms?"

Jes Kurios

I used to be the same way. I set a goal of 100 fish for the opener. It was accomplished more than once, but it requires alot of energy. Running up and down the 395 fishing as many pools, holes, undercuts as possible. I was so focused on running to the next spot that I couldnt enjoy where I was at. Once you realize it isnt about the fish, it is about the experience, you will always have a great opener. That sounds so lame coming from me, but I am getting there. Dont get me wrong, I am always ready to hook into some quality fish. I guess I am officially becoming OLD. I said old not mature. You are entitled to your opinion. If it sucked this year compared to other years, that is just an observation. I am sure a slow opener beats anything else you would have been doing.
    Last edited by Joshua; 04-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.

I gotta agree it was a slow opener for the majority of the people I talked to. Talked to many guys who did Crowley and it was super slow, same for Convict.

We started at Lundy and there was only a handful of guys with only 1.

Grant was slow as well.

We ended the day at North lake and Intake 2 and got into a steady bite there towards the end of the day.

PVR the day before was pretty good and some of the sand traps on the way home was also good.

I think the worse the weather, the better the fishing is on the opener. With all of this warm weather before the opener, the fish were gorging them selves on all the bug hatches.

Quote Originally Posted by sierraslam View Post
    I heard from 2 different sources that Crowley was off the hook. Bait fishermen are happy to catch there 5 and go home though. Lot's of limits of 2 pound trout was the word I heard.
    Completely different from what I heard from many guys who went there.

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I used to be the same way. I set a goal of 100 fish for the opener. It was accomplished more than once, but it requires alot of energy. Running up and down the 395 fishing as many pools, holes, undercuts as possible. I was so focused on running to the next spot that I couldnt enjoy where I was at. Once you realize it isnt about the fish, it is about the experience, you will always have a great opener. That sounds so lame coming from me, but I am getting there. Dont get me wrong, I am always ready to hook into some quality fish. I guess I am officially becoming OLD. I said old not mature. You are entitled to your opinion. If it sucked this year compared to other years, that is just an observation. I am sure a slow opener beats anything else you would have been doing.

Missed you at Intake 2 this year. We went in the afternoon instead of the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    With all the plastic worms to choose from ... how did you get onto "Trigger Worms?"

Jes Kurios
    I go to the San Bernardino lakes and he always sees me catch fish. I just started talking to him and I recently got on the pro staff.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast