Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S.W.A.T. 04-27-13 Casting into the Dark

Nice catch! I went night fishing the other day and the surf just beat me up

Nice catches! Jonathan's first surf halibut. I have a feeling he's gonna be "hooked"
    Forget fishing before, and after the grunion run. Just do it as it's happening!
    Peter catching a legal in the dark... I don't think I've witnessed that yet, or did i speak too soon?
    Anyways, thanks for the report.

P.S. I don't remember Raney having a combover.

-Danny

Hi ya ptn,

Way to take advantage of the grunion run and beach a couple of legals Sir!

Thanx for the fish report and the LEGAL pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

Quote Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
    Two legal halibuts! That is what a I call a helluva night man. Way to go guys!
    Thank you fish4life. First time going to a grunion run and actually catching some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by dlmoo312 View Post
    Way to get your buddies on some fish! and another legal for you
    Good thing you didn't let it get away lol Enjoy your fish tacos
    Thanks for the great night-time report! You've got me thinking about going out for a quick night-session now...

-Daniel
    Thanks Daniel. Night sessions are pretty fun when the waves are down and you can kind of see in front of you with the moon out.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way Out View Post
    Great report.

The stocking truck hasn't got here yet....

WWO
    Thanks WWO. I'll tell the released hali's to move there way up there quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by saltman View Post
    Hey

That is the way to make thing happen, Night Operation and using the grunion run to your advantage.
    Congrats to all, Great report.

Ramiro.
    Thank you Ramiro. It was a spur of the moment thing and ended up working out great.

Quote Originally Posted by bachiboy View Post
    Great report Peter! Way to get out there and hunt down them night dwellers. Congrats to your buddy Raney on his first legal too!

Don
    Thank you for the kind words Don, I'm pretty happy Raney and his brother caught some fish.

Quote Originally Posted by Homefish View Post
    Good job man! Thanks for the report.
    Thank you Homefish. Glad you enjoyed the report.

Quote Originally Posted by skunked4life View Post
    Night or day, there's nothing stopping Peter! Great job out there! Looks like the trophy will go to you (team rookie) for the month of May!
    May hasn't even started yet.. Thank you Ken, we'll to get together soon.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNotoriousSkunk View Post
    Nice catch! I went night fishing the other day and the surf just beat me up
    Thanks TNS! Those waves aren't fun at night when they are big.

Quote Originally Posted by onekrzyboi View Post
    Nice catches! Jonathan's first surf halibut. I have a feeling he's gonna be "hooked"
    Forget fishing before, and after the grunion run. Just do it as it's happening!
    Peter catching a legal in the dark... I don't think I've witnessed that yet, or did i speak too soon?
    Anyways, thanks for the report.

P.S. I don't remember Raney having a combover.

-Danny
    Maybe you did speak too soon. I can't wait till you catch your legal and I'll make sure if I'm there, that I'll do my best to assist. Yeah, I remember when he saw my hair and made fun of it.. now he has the same hair.

Quote Originally Posted by SP Dan View Post
    Hi ya ptn,

Way to take advantage of the grunion run and beach a couple of legals Sir!

Thanx for the fish report and the LEGAL pic's!

SP Dan <"))><
    Thank you Dan, sounds like you got right back in rhythm when you got back from your vacation and caught some nice fish yourself.

Great to see all of you get some nice catches.
    And how challenging is it fishing at night....everything is just so dark.
    Thanks for sharing and posting.

I think you guys are going to start a new surf fishing trend. Nice job on the legals

I hooked a big ol' shovelnose once. I thought I had a barn door halibut on the end of my line. Total disappointment when I finally saw it in the surf. To top it all off, my line snapped and the darn thing took off with my brand new LC.
    I never fish during a grunion run before, that would be something cool to do in the near future.
    Great job on all the legals caught.

Peter,
    Your on fire brotha!
    I remember a few years back there was a discussion here about whether or not halibut eat at night or if they are just laying on the bottom waiting for the sun to come up. I remember that Dockrat put up a "Sleeping Halibut at Night" video trying to prove that they are NOT nocturnal. I know from all of my years fishing that pretty much every species in both the fresh and salt water has a certain percentage of it's population that feed at night. It's true that every species has it's most active feeding time but It's also true that there are some bigger fish that have adapted to night time feeding for various reasons whether it's an enviromental issue,food source issue or a response to various predators.
    Your true determination to prove this fact by fishing the grunion run I think proves this point.
    Keep up the great work in the trenches soldier!

Peter you are on fire!

Okay some of us Old Guys want to to fish every day and every night until the upcoming challenge. We want you to be good and tired and worn out so maybe, just maybe, we have a chance!

Great job out there Peter. you are definitely on a roll!

Thumbs up

Peter, you did the leg work needed to find the fish and the hard work paid off. You're a lot like Lieutenant Bones, you go that "extra" mile.
    You're not lucky, you're good!
    The luckiest people are the ones who never have to depend on it...
    Thanks again for showing me how it's done Sunday night, I had a blast!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast