Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Power bait fishing "cheating"

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    I don't worry about the use of power bait to catch and keep trout for dinner, I simply HATE those that think that power bait is a valid method to use for C&R, the idiots that cannot understand the reasoning for not using power bait when C&R fishing are the ones I am most concerned with.
    Seal raises a good question ... can you really fish with PB and still do C&R? ... even with a single hook?

I dunno

Quote Originally Posted by billy b View Post
    Seal raises a good question ... can you really fish with PB and still do C&R? ... even with a single hook?

I dunno
    If the hook is swallowed, no!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    If the hook is swallowed, no!
    What if the hook is barbless?

S
    uppose you leave the hook in and replace it each fish ?

Power bait is cheating..... power worms is not ??????? Just cuz one is a ball and one is skinny? HMMMMMM

I gotta go with seal on this one - you can't fish Power bait - or any other bait - and C&R with any integrity. And before you start kindling your City Dad effigy, I know not all fish swallow power bait and I know that some fish occasionally swallow lures or flies - but unless you're a cocker spaniel, it's pretty easy to understand that fishing bait (barbless or not) increases the chances of a gut/gill/eye, etc. hook. I'm all for fishing Powerbait - just keep the fish you catch as part or you legal limit.

and oh, yeah, with regard to the cheating-ness of using bait instead of artificials to easily fool more trout. If you fish long enough you'll encounter many instances in which the bait anglers can only watch in curiosity while some fly dunker lights 'em up on a teeeeeeny little emerger or midge.
    Last edited by City Dad; 04-22-2013 at 05:46 PM.

Fishing with powerbait, nightcrawlers, hatchery nuggets is not cheating at all but it's mindless. No skill involved, but I would still consider it 'fishing'. One thing though, and most of you will probably agree, is that there's no better rush than slowly reeling in a lure and feeling that big strike at the other end of your line. Pure excitement....and that rush is something you don't often achieve with powerbait. I'd rather catch fewer fish on lures, than tons of fish on powerbait...it's all about personal preference.
    Last edited by Kingfish Addict; 04-22-2013 at 10:18 PM.

theres about 2-300 yards of r creek that people use powerbait. they cast out like its a lake and sit in there lounge chairs and wait for the bite. they leave there chairs there overnight so nobody will steal there spot. pisses me off cause its a good spot to throw luers and plastics. lots of fallen trees and cut banks. sometimes i go below them and throw up in there spot and nab some fish. they look at me like hey howd he catch them when were not. i personaly use bait on lakes. throw some meat with 1 and ill be chuckin a spinner, plastic, whatever with the other. fishing is fun no matter what and i dont consider it exactly cheating. but i do agree on catching on the retrieve and hunting the fish does take more skill than waiting for them to come to you on some pb.

Power bait cheating ?
    Like T/O said.

' FISHING IS FISHING '

Even with a Gill Net.

Quote Originally Posted by etucker1959 View Post
    The question you asked, is the same question I've heard for 40 years in different forms.
    Yo Tuckka, Did you have a vintage IBM the size of a house back in the day ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfish Addict View Post
    Fishing with powerbait, nightcrawlers, hatchery nuggets is not cheating at all but it's mindless. No skill involved, but I would still consider it 'fishing'. One thing though, and most of you will probably agree, is that there's no better rush than slowly reeling in a lure and feeling that big strike at the other end of your line. Pure excitement....and that rush is something you don't often achieve with powerbait. I'd rather catch fewer fish on lures, than tons of fish on powerbait...it's all about personal preference.
    Oh Kingfish, you're just sore cause I kick your butt everytime we just use bait and wait!.......LOL just kidding. Lure fishing is alot more fun, but sometimes it's fun just to kick back and take in the scenery while drinking a cold one and letting the line soak with that PB or nightcrawler.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast