Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: Kickboat Registration

Default Kickboat Registration

Anyone here know the guidelines on registering a kickboat? I'm putting a trolling motor on my 9' Fish Cat. Pretty sure I'm required to register, but not having much luck finding info on DMV site.

Other than the application for registration, you have to fill out a form that states you dont have proof of sale (even if you do, fill this out). I put there that I had bought my toon from my brother. A <$100 vessel is cheaper to register than what you paid for your fish cat from BPS, I think its called the declaration of sale.

When I registered mine, thats all I had to do. I even had the S/N number from my frame in hand to use in lieu of the VIN but they said they did not need it and assigned me a random hull number.

The person that helped me at the counter understood that I had to register once I had put a trolling motor on it, but her supervisor did not know that and was saying i did not have to register it - she had to be shown the state regulations.

When you are in line at the DMV to get your number, just explain to the person what you are doing and theyll guide you in the right direction.
    I paid 50 something dollars for a 2 year registration, and I declared that i bought the toon for 100 dollars.

Sorry I dont have the exact form numbers, but i hope this helps.
    Last edited by casting call; 06-01-2013 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BakoBassin View Post
    Anyone here know the guidelines on registering a kickboat? I'm putting a trolling motor on my 9' Fish Cat. Pretty sure I'm required to register, but not having much luck finding info on DMV site.
    Throw 15hp on that beast and just fly.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyBasser View Post
    Throw 15hp on that beast and just fly.
    Haha!!! I saw someone with a 5 HP on theirs and it barely moved. Not to mention it sat at about a 45 degree angle in the water.

Quote Originally Posted by casting call View Post
    Other than the application for registration, you have to fill out a form that states you dont have proof of sale (even if you do, fill this out). I put there that I had bought my toon from my brother. A <$100 vessel is cheaper to register than what you paid for your fish cat from BPS, I think its called the declaration of sale.

When I registered mine, thats all I had to do. I even had the S/N number from my frame in hand to use in lieu of the VIN but they said they did not need it and assigned me a random hull number.

The person that helped me at the counter understood that I had to register once I had put a trolling motor on it, but her supervisor did not know that and was saying i did not have to register it - she had to be shown the state regulations.

When you are in line at the DMV to get your number, just explain to the person what you are doing and theyll guide you in the right direction.
    I paid 50 something dollars for a 2 year registration, and I declared that i bought the toon for 100 dollars.

Sorry I dont have the exact form numbers, but i hope this helps.
    Thanks, Casting Call. I'll make an appointment.

AAA office can do the same if u're member... application for title bit of a paper trail but can be done. claim its yours was gift (relative value $50)...title $50, boat tags $20 good 2years...

basically self power : wind or paddle is free, if u put a motor . state of ca wants ur $$. u are also gonna pay motorized launch boat fees few $ more than non motorized...each time or annual pass

Sweet! Don't forget the rope! No more kicking for miles! lol