Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: PVR/Jig set up

Default PVR/Jig set up

Hi All

I have always wanted to ask for tips on using mini jigs for trout. I have caught trout @PVR on jigs before, but I am still not sure if my set up is the best. I fish from the shore, I have a lightweight 8ft pole, 4 pound line...generally I use one of those bobbers that are filled with water and power worms. My questions...

Is 4 lb test okay? or should I use a 2lb leader, or just fill a spool with 2lb for PVR?

Is the water bobber a good option or would a split shot be a better option?

How much distance between the weight and jig?

Any responses are appreciated guys, thank you!

when using a true mini jig like one from Sierra Slammers or Trout Traps etc I only use 2# test with no bobber or weights..that is part of the reason you use such a long pole to help cast out with such light weight. I do use a red/white bobber if it is windy. I put about 7-8' between the bobber and the jig.
    BTW..some do use 4# but I just feel better with 2..just means you have to take your time getting the fish in

Quote Originally Posted by ocampo82 View Post
    Hi All

I have always wanted to ask for tips on using mini jigs for trout. I have caught trout @PVR on jigs before, but I am still not sure if my set up is the best. I fish from the shore, I have a lightweight 8ft pole, 4 pound line...generally I use one of those bobbers that are filled with water and power worms. My questions...

Is 4 lb test okay? or should I use a 2lb leader, or just fill a spool with 2lb for PVR?

Is the water bobber a good option or would a split shot be a better option?

How much distance between the weight and jig?

Any responses are appreciated guys, thank you!
    Quote Originally Posted by fishtacomag View Post
    when using a true mini jig like one from Sierra Slammers or Trout Traps etc I only use 2# test with no bobber or weights..that is part of the reason you use such a long pole to help cast out with such light weight. I do use a red/white bobber if it is windy. I put about 7-8' between the bobber and the jig.
    BTW..some do use 4# but I just feel better with 2..just means you have to take your time getting the fish in

Hey Ocampo, Shawn is right when he says only use 2# test. You could pick up a spool of Izorline xxx for a good price and that will work fine for you.

I prefer a rod in the 7.5'-8' range as well. Tie the jig directly to your line with no weight, the weight of the jig is all you need. You can try the 1/32oz jigs and also the 1/16th if you need to cast a little further out. Vary the depth of the jig and the speed of retrieve till you find the fish. If the water is colder, slow it down, as the water warms up pick up the speed of retrieve.

Any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

Everyone has their own opinion on this...here is mine.

PVR is not a particularly clear lake. It also doesn't get a whole lot pressure (outside of the Blake Jones derby that is). Those are the two main reasons to step down to 2lb test...water clarity and fishing pressure. So, my opinion with regard to line test is fishing 4lb is just fine. Save yourself the squinting to tie your knots, a 10 minute fight on a 3lb fish (which can be counterproductive to survival when practicing C&R), and accidentally breaking fish off trying to unhook them.

An ultralight 8ft setup is perfect...should get plenty of casting distance with a jig or trout worm. I prefer splitshotting trout worms most of the time but dropshot works really good at PVR, especially when fishing from the dam. I usually go with a 18 to 24" leader with trout worms but some prefer longer. The water bubble rig works well, especially when long casts are required, but it doesn't work worth a dang in the wind(it never sinks as the wind tension on the line keeps it moving laterally instead of vertically) and to limits some of the action you can put on the worm. I've seen lots of monster fish caught on the water bubble trout worm rig though.

Like the other guys said( and quite accomplished anglers at that) - minijigs require no weight or leader. The only exception is when fishing under a bobber, a great windy weather technique, at which point the longer the leader the better...I usually go 5 to 7ft.

JMO...

Smitty

thanks guys! I will put your suggestions to use. I'm heading up there in a week. First day at PVR then hit June Lake area for the opener. CANT WAIT!