Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Santa Ana River Report and How to Stream Fishing Video Report!

Default Santa Ana River Report and How to Stream Fishing Video Report!

Hey guys thanks for reading!

I noticed that the California Fish and Wildlife started to stock the Santa Ana River again for the season so I decided to check it out and see if there were any rainbows swimming around. I haven't fished the river for a couple of years and it is amazing how much it changes over time. Previous hot spots are now a bust and other premium spots have formed as the river evolves with time. There weren't that many fish in the river from the recent stocking. So either they have been caught which is possible since I saw a lot of people out, or they are not stocking it like previously. I caught 5 rainbows and a brown trout in an hour of fishing so not too bad. All catch and release so they are still there if you want to go give it a try. I was just using a Berkly Power Nymph on a 1/16th ounce jig head. Check out my video for more tips on fishing this stream. I hope you enjoy the video and please subscribe to my channel if you'd like. I'm trying to make easy video more of an episode with helpful tips for fishing.

Calicanuck

Your tips are helpful to new ppl but now your going have these wild trout streams rape of ppl that just catch more then there limits.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    Your tips are helpful to new ppl but now your going have these wild trout streams rape of ppl that just catch more then there limits.
    This stream is actually stocked every other week with rainbow trout, so not completely a wild trout stream. The browns are also very timid and more difficult for the beginner to catch. I've posted many videos on the Santa Ana River and still catch fish every time I go. Wouldn't say it is raped, always see about 2-10 other people fishing it on weekends, hasn't changed either.

I can't change the fact that people may break the law. They'll do that regardless.
    Last edited by Calicanuck; 04-16-2013 at 11:09 PM.

4. Default

Nice video, very informative. Your early trout videos helped inspire me to make mine, thanks!

Ducks in a barrel...should have just hand lined them in and made it a lil more challening.

4:40..purdy lil brown but check out the spinning reel in the water...not so sweet! Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    This stream is actually stocked every other week with rainbow trout, so not completely a wild trout stream. The browns are also very timid and more difficult for the beginner to catch. I've posted many videos on the Santa Ana River and still catch fish every time I go. Wouldn't say it is raped, always see about 2-10 other people fishing it on weekends, hasn't changed either.

I can't change the fact that people may break the law. They'll do that regardless.
    Yeah but that was before you posted this video. Plus the campground have not open so they is not a lot of ppl up there right now. And it does not get stocked every week. It is every other week in the spring thue fall.

really should make it an 15in and 1 fish limit, artificial and barbless hook only area. also not enough dfg in this area. too close to the big city and easily raped. thanks to dfg theres fish in there. glad to see it still looking clean! thanks for the video and the catch n release!

Quote Originally Posted by TheReelBubba View Post
    really should make it an 15in and 1 fish limit, artificial and barbless hook only area. also not enough dfg in this area. too close to the big city and easily raped. thanks to dfg theres fish in there. glad to see it still looking clean! thanks for the video and the catch n release!
    That would be pretty nice if this stream had a 15 inch 1 fish limit. There are some nice sized browns that somehow avoid the slaughter of stocked rainbows. I'm glad they are a bit wiser once they get older. Other streams in the area that are harder to get into have some nice fish, but quite a hike. Santa Ana River is way to accessible.

Planted trout in almost all cases are planted by the DFW to be caught and consumed, let's not go all crazy on the hatchery trout fishing scene now please! Unless it's the brown's in Gregory, lol.

You are right Seal, that's why I don't mind telling people how to fish it, cause if they keep the fish there will be more eager fish as soon as the dfg truck goes down the road :)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast