Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: How to select waders ?

Default How to select waders ?

Was wondering about waders.
    How do I know what size waders I need.
    And should I get waders that go over my shoes ?

Default How to know

Quote Originally Posted by EbonBetta View Post
    Was wondering about waders.
    How do I know what size waders I need.
    And should I get waders that go over my shoes ?
    Go to Sports Authority and try some on. I say Sports Authority because there is one in every city and probably one around the corner from you. For boots that go over waders get one size larger than your shoe size. This will allow for the thickness of the neoprene booty. I like breathable waders because in the summer I use only the waders and in the winter I can use the same waders with layer of cloths depending on how cold it is. Some people will say get the waders Clown Pant size for easy mobility, access and comfort but I would say baggy but not that baggy.

There are brands like Simms that can be very expensive and then there are brands like DAM and Turners Brand that are between 80-125. I like Hodgeman waders for the money and the wear. They last a long time provided you use boots and they are less than 100.00. Boots will keep your booties from wearing quickly and leaking.

All waders leak at some point so keep your receipt and rinse after every use.

Good luck.
    Last edited by LBSea; 03-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.

Go with the breatheables,i regret not doing my research before i got my neoprenes,they suck during the summer time!now im gonna switch to breatheables

Definitely go with breathable... Better IMO for multi season use.. Depending on your budget theres lots of company's to choose from but for me I went with Caddis deluxe breathable and am extremely happy with the quality and comfortable at a great price! Personally I like the bootie foot waders and pair them with some swim fin shoes so that you can walk where you want and then you can just throw some fins over them for tubing.

What ever pair you choose to go with try to find a place that carrys them to try them on . Sports Chalet carrys a few brands and if you sign up for there mailing list usually once a month or every other month they do a 20% online sale

Simms drift at bps for $130. Breathable and have been good so far.
    I just wear thermals underneath and they are plenty warm
    I paid $179 at bps a few months ago and use em 1-2x a week
    Worth every penny
    I've been through the cheaper waders 2x already (in 2.5 seasons)

Simms will replace booties when they fail and repairs etc
    http://m.basspro.com/Simms-Drift-Sto...oductname_link
    Last edited by vdubfiend; 03-21-2013 at 12:06 PM.

Go with breathables for sure! You can always wear some fleece pants underneath if you're cold. I've float tubed lakes which still had ice on it, and I wasn't cold at all. Just dress warm underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by vdubfiend View Post
    Simms drift at bps for $130. Breathable and have been good so far.
    I just wear thermals underneath and they are plenty warm
    I paid $179 at bps a few months ago and use em 1-2x a week
    Worth every penny
    I've been through the cheaper waders 2x already (in 2.5 seasons)

Simms will replace booties when they fail and repairs etc
    http://m.basspro.com/Simms-Drift-Sto...oductname_link
    Sounds like a good deal BUT the model is only carried at Bass Pro and Cabellas. You ever hear about BIG companies buy labels or having brand names make a cheaper model exclusive for a large companies like bass pro? When this happens the quality always suffers. Suit Co's do it all the time. Simms Waders for anywhere else, Check Bob Marriots or Google for that matter, will run no less than 250.00 upwards to 800.00 and there is a huge difference in quality compared. With that in mind Simms at 129.00 or around that are made to meet the most min requirements to still carry the Simms label. I will stick to my Hodgeman suggestion and I have had a 79.00 dollar pair from at the time SportsMart now Sports Authority for 5 seasons now. In fact my 79 dollar Hodgeman Waders have the same specs and look just like the Simms Waders on my new Bass Pro mailer that say "A BASS PRO EXCLUSIVE for $129.97" Just saying.
    Last edited by LBSea; 03-23-2013 at 08:40 AM.

Ok i got a question about the waders for floating ?
    Do I need to wear special shoes in them Or a cheap pair of deck type shoes ? or barefoot ??

Wear socks inside the waders. I dont think you want to be barefoot.

wear dress socks, or bicycling socks. basically anything BUT cotton socks. it makes getting your feet in/out of waders so much easier.
    I also have some surf booties that I wear over my waders. Much cheaper than wader boots (think I paid $25)
    My only concern is that they are also made of neoprene (with rubber sole) that they might wear out where the fins make rubbing contact. So far holding up well and I check after every use. if they do wear out, they are cheap enough to replace.

so, sock, wader, bootie, fins, no my feet aint gonna get cold.

I also wear some "fishing" pants I bought at bass pro. They are a thin material that dries VERY fast and supposedly UV resistant. I use them when on my 'toon and wear them under my waders when I use my tube. I haven't had a issue with them bunching up.