Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mystery fish caught at Silverwood identification help needed.

cutbaits right it's a Chub

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcor View Post
    cutbaits right it's a Chub
    Speaking of which..

Remind me to show you my chub when we meet!

If they are Mohave tui.. pics and admission of killing them isn't wise. They are endangered

does anyone know what the water temp is running at silverwood right now? im going there Tuesday

Water temp today was at 57 in the morning and came up to 60 at 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by 661Bass'n View Post
    Water temp today was at 57 in the morning and came up to 60 at 2pm.
    Thanks man, is the largemouth bite starting to take off up there?

Quote Originally Posted by river_fish View Post
    Thanks man, is the largemouth bite starting to take off up there?

river_fish, today was my first ever trip..check my report.....

8. Default

Great post! Very cool to see that fish, hadn't seen them come out of there before.

Why would you kill a fish if you don't know what it is? Obviously if you don't know the species, you wouldn't know the regulations in regards to the fish. In this day and age of cameras on everything you could've easily just taken a picture and carefully release the fish, as opposed to killing four of them. Ignorance is not an excuse sir.

This fish does look like some sort of chub, the million dollar question now is what kind of Chub is it since It was never discovered could I call it the ToadsToadsOnly Barp?

I also noticed that some nights I see boils on the surface that I always thought were stripers I have casted everything but the kitchen sink at these boils with no avail. Friday night I saw similar boils and waited until sunrise hoping that I could identify what was making all the commotion. At greylight I saw these fish foaming and chasing some sort of bait and flopping to the surface like some sort of panfish or bass I actually thought it looked like small mouth bass boiling. I am pretty sure these fish would of ate the fly and they actually fight pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by casting call View Post
    Id say grass carp too.. but these scales are "oval" instead of a diamond pattern, and grass carp have shorter anal fins.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    I think they are buffalo fish
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ictiobus
    Searched Buffalo fish, not buffalo fish.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Mohave tui chub?
    Not Mohave Tui Chub, the tail is different, these fish have similar body structure to the Tui Chub but the tail is move of a V shape.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Ding ding ding! But I thought those were close to extinction? So say the environmentalists.
    Have you ever head of anyone catching anything similar to this out of the Wood Seal, I know this is one of your normal stomping grounds.

Quote Originally Posted by bman90278 View Post
    So did u eat them not knowing what there were? Either way, looks like cook catches.

-b
    No I did not eat the fish my buddy revived a couple and let them go and gave a couple to a guy that wanted to keep them on the dock. These fish are very hardy one was out of the water for about 1 1/2 hour once revived it swam back to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by misterBAITer View Post
    Could it be this: Lavinia exilicauda?

http://nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/facts...?SpeciesID=553

Lavina Exilicauda is a buffalo fish, definitely not one of those.

It says there have been occurrences of this fish at Silverwood.
    Speaking of which..

Remind me to show you my chub when we meet!
    Sorry cutbait I dont swing that way lol.

If they are Mohave tui.. pics and admission of killing them isn't wise. They are endangered
    Good thing they were not a Tui.. Tui looks like the tui reach over 10'' long. I do not see anything stating that the Tui Chubs would be 3-5 lbs 20+'' length.

''The Mohave tui chub (Gila bicolor mohavensis) is in the minnow family and can reach over 10 inches in length. The Mohave tui chub was listed as an endangered species in 1970 by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The Mohave tui chub is the only fish native to the Mojave River basin in California. The arroyo chub (Gila orcutti) was introduced into the Mojave River system in the 1930s. This exotic chub successfully hybridized with the Mohave tui chub, and by 1970 the latter fish species was believed to have been eliminated by this process of introgression. A small population of genetically pure Mohave tui chub was found at a small pond (6 feet deep and 9 feet in diameter) at Soda Springs on the western bank of the dry Soda Lake (FWS 1984).

Since its rediscovery, populations have been successfully introduced to constructed ponds at Soda Lake, Camp Cady, and China Lake Naval Air Weapons Station. The total estimated population at these four areas is between 10,000 and 20,000 fish (Mohave tui chub recovery team meeting, November 1996). The Mohave tui chub is morphologically similar to the Owens tui chub (G. b. Snyderi) and the Lahontan tui chub (G. b. obesa) (FWS 1984). A genetic study, completed in September 1997, found that the Mohave tui chub is a distinct subspecies (May et al. 1997).''

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Great post! Very cool to see that fish, hadn't seen them come out of there before.
    Thanks
    Last edited by ToadsToadsOnly; 04-07-2013 at 10:07 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast