Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swimbait Time!

Default Swimbait Time!

Alright so here's the scoop... for years I've been catching dink bass to average size bass with my personal best being 6 pounds 12 ounces that I caught that back in 2010. I fish almost once every two weeks usually at Perris, DVL, and Skinner and have caught fish on just about every different way to rig plastics so I decided I need to get the personal best broken and eventually enter the DD club. I just received a Bass Pro Megacast reel in the mail... was considering that, the Daiwa Laguna, or Abu Garcia Silver Max and decided on the BPS Megacast because of price and I can use the money for a decent swimbait.

My question to the swimbait guys out there is how the heck do I fish one of these. I'm probably gonna get the Hudd ROF 5 and rig it Butch Brown Style and I have no idea what line to put on my reel or what to do after my bait hits the water... do I just slow roll it back once it hits the bottom or jerk it or what. All input and advice is welcome and if anyone wants to meet up at one of those lakes and give me a lesson I wouldn't mind that either

Thanks all I know there are some excellent swimbait guys out there that know exactly how to catch BIG fish.

im no expert at swimbait fishing,but i know that u will need a 300 size reel w at least 20# line & a heavy action rod rated for minimum of 1-3 oz 7" foot or longer for chucking big baits...

I personally use a Calcutta 400TE with 25lb pline to throw my 8 inch hudd. You want a pretty stiff rod for throwing the hudds since they are quite heavy. I've used the Okuma Guide Select 711XH Swimbait rods...and while they work, I felt it was pretty much maxed out on the bait.

Fishing the hudd, you can slow roll it. Dead stick it. Twitch it. Whatever works. Change it up, but just remember, the colder it is, the slower you go.

Hey hound,
    i just bought me a revo toro, and matched it up with the abu heavy 8ft rod. I got this specifically to chuck big baits. As far as technique I would keep trying different depths and retrieval rates until something sticks. And depending on your reel(line cap) I am using 50lb braid, dont want to lose 20$ baits, big baits=big fish. Good luck out there man.

Or lose a deps :P

Good advice so far....also don't fish a bait u can't afford to lose cause you will lose some.
    -b

first of all 50lb braid is not a good choice. if you are going to fish braid for big baits, you need at least 65lb...i use 80lb. I guarantee 50lb will snap off your lure with a backlash. GUARANTEE!!! If you don't want to use braid...20-25lb mono is the way to go.

youtube "southern trout eaters", "tactical bassin", "butch brown, for techniques

I concur with everyone's suggestions. Get the right gear for the job first because if you don't these things can happen:
    1) Strain yourself from throwing a heavy bait
    2) Damage your rod and reel
    3) Lose your expensive bait
    4) lose your fish of a lifetime

As for fishing the hudd you can do the following:
    1) slow roll
    2) drag on the bottom
    3) dead stick
    4) combinations of the above

WARNING!
    Fishing swimbaits takes discipline. You can be fishing for a long time with no followers and/or bites. You must give it a chance and stick it out at times before you get results. Like what Mr. Miyagi said to the Karate Kid: "FOCUS DANIELSAN!"

Go out there and get em and share your experience with us.

Raymond

wow excellent info everyone thanks a ton guess I'm gonna have to wait for that tax return and get some good gear... I am expecting a few skunks until I catch that first one but it will all be worth it hopefully in the end. See you all on the water!

Quote Originally Posted by fish-hound View Post
    wow excellent info everyone thanks a ton guess I'm gonna have to wait for that tax return and get some good gear... I am expecting a few skunks until I catch that first one but it will all be worth it hopefully in the end. See you all on the water!
    i use and abu garcia silver max to throw my 6 in. hudd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast