Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: huge cabezon

Default huge cabezon

hi anglers,
    after 3 weeks of working with no day off i finally headed the daisy mae out to the cab/ling spot. the first couple of casts brought legal calicos. a few more casts brought some calicos. one about 18 inches. i have plenty of cabezon in the freeze so i released them.
    then a yaker came paddling by. he stopped and we chatted for a couple of minutes. then the bite was on. a couple short calicos and a brown rockfish (about 3 lbs). then my rod went bendo and started peeling drag. my first thought was nice ling. these things can really hug the rocks. he started coming up and really pulling. then i saw him. i reached for the net and put in in the water. fishy saw it and turned and ran. i could not stop this toad and he spun drag all the way back down. i put the net down and worked him back to the surface. then i reached down and scooped him. i forgot my phone and camera at home next to my tape but i was thinking this guy went about 22 inches.

but i was wrong.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabpic1.jpg 
Views:	513 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	39807Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabpic2.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	39808Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cabpic3.jpg 
Views:	352 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	39809

this is my new personal best for cabezon. i probably will not keep anymore cabs unless i get a bigger one. bon appetit

Nice Cabbie !

Nice Cab,sounded like he put up a good fight.

Cya TunaVic

Beast! These guys make for one of the finest eating fish in Socal.