Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catalina on the vessel of Kevin (Terror)

Default Catalina on the vessel of Kevin (Terror)

Met up with my buddies (Kevin & Jbones) at the crack of dawn. We decided to launch the boat off at Cabrillo beach in San Pedro. It was a beautiful morning and we all were happy to get out and get away from the wives and fish in peace. We drove over to the bait tank and bought our dines for the day and off we went to Catalina. :banana:

It was a bumpy ride (my back still aches) but we finally got to the beautiful isle of Catalina. :titanic:

We started fishing this huge rock and I nailed my first calico of the year. She was a nice 16"-17". We then proceeded running and gunning all around Catalina looking for fish on the fish finder. While K was trolling with his LC he caught a few small bonita. We fished this other rock and wham my pole goes bendo. I grab my rod and said I'm stuck in the kelp, while I was trying to pull it out I felt a shake on the end of my rod. Fish on! It was another calico bass 11" threw her back into the drink and we moved locations.

We hit up another spot near some cliffs and I feel a light tap on my rod. I reach for the stars and set the hook. This time my drag was ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ peeling away. My heart started racing and I was in full angler mode adjusting my drag trying not to break my 10# line. After a 7 minute battle I lipped a white sea bass she measured at 26" so after a photo op I threw her back into the sea. What a beautiful fish! :banana:

We moved again and this time I casted my dead dine about 10 feet from the boat. While on the sink my line started pulling away quite rapidly. I set the hook and ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ fish on. This fish was peeling my drag like a striper on crack. I was getting a bit tired from the tug of war battle. After a 10 minutes, I landed a 4lbs. bonita (fish tacos). Oh yeah I did catch a small mack on a kastmaster. (thanks SOSOFRESH) :thumb:

All the other fish were caught on dead dines. Our bait tank malfunctioned during our ride over in the morning. We almost didnt make it back to the mainland due to the rough waters.

P.S. Never go to Catalina on a small boat that has a small outboard. :titanic:

Thanks for the report! Good job on the fish, and i look forward to more pics :D

what a beautiful bass. I totally understand the rough ride effects. I actually sprained my wrist from all the pounding during a rough ride back last summer. At least it wasn't my back :)

Shy_Boxer, Great report!!

Congrats on your catch!!

:thumb:

At least you had a vest on for the trip back home.

I really don't like small boats on the open Sea.

Glad you made it back.

Toutman65

:lol: Don't let your wives read that post! :lol:
    GM

Sweet report! How big was the boat you were on?

The boat is an old 15-16 footer...I do not know the size of the outboard, however we weren't traveling too fast. My guesstimate would be 10 mph maybe 15 mph top speed in the morning. It took us an hour and a half to get to Catalina. It took us 2.5 hours to get back.

It was pretty scary due to the fact our gas was running on fumes and it was dark by the time we hit the mainland. Plus the hull was full of water which made the boat run very sluggish. Man was I happy to be on land!!! LOL...

Otherwise the trip was great, but I would never do that again. :wink:

NICE :thumb:

nice report. ya if your going to go to cat on a small boat best bet is to stay overnight and leave early before the swells come in. looks like fun though. good job!!!!!!!!

Hi shy_boxer,

Nice job on the light tackle. Nice fishy in hand.

thanks,

JapanRon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast