Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Sunday 3-17-13 SAMO

Default Sunday 3-17-13 SAMO

I am just getting into surf fishing and this is my first report. I ended up just south of the SAMO pier on Sunday hoping to fish the afternoon high tide. This was the first time I've actually been able to get out and a fish a high tide and it certainly seemed to make a difference based on less successful, past surf trips when I went out when it was convenient and not based on the tide. I was using a Carolina rig, 1/2oz egg weight, and 2" camo sand worms. The water seemed pretty clear to me (but I'm still a novice, so not really sure what is and isnt clear), there were a few larger clumps of kelp is the surf but they were easily avoidable and did cause me any problems.

I started around 1330 and got a few smaller, palm sized BSP, which is what I've always caught in my short, month long fishing career. Then wham, something bigger than I had ever had on my line (not saying much but still...) pulled in a 12.5" BSP. Finally got one like everyone else on these forums posts

Started moving further North until, on one cast, it seemed almost the second it hit the water something hit it harder and moved differently than anything I was used to. And, when I finally brought in, a 14" bat ray (at least I thinks thats the correct species).

My buddy finally showed up around 1530, (he's the one that got me into surf fishing) so after telling him about the excitement he missed we got back to fishing. My first cast after he showed up and boom, another big hit. This fish actually took some time bring in, most of the smaller ones I've caught didn't put up too much of a fight. When I finally bring this one to the beach its the biggest BSP either of us had ever seen probably 14" and thick. Turns out it was a pregnant female, and as we were getting the hook out she started to give birth. We worked fast and got her and the three fry that popped out back into the water asap. (thanks to reading many of the post/threads on this site I knew what to do in this situation) Unfortunately I didn't have time for a pic of that one, my biggest fish so far, oh well...

We fished until about 1630 with nothing more than those little BSP but it was certainly my best day yet! I guess those tides really do have an affect. Good times, can't wait to get out again, I've been bit by the fishing bug.

This is the 12.5" BSP
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSM 3-17-13 Pier.2.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	97.8 KB 
ID:	39673

Here's the Bat Ray (species???)

Name:	SSM 3-17-13 Pier.1.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	39676

A decent size perch maybe 10"

Name:	SSM 3-17-13 Pier.3.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	96.1 KB 
ID:	39677

Thumbs up

Sounds like you guys had a fun and productive session.
    Great job on getting the Preggo Perch and Fry back in the surf quickly.
    May Poseidon reward you with another PB fish.

Welcome to the addiction.

Great first report with variety! I am warning you right now though, get out while you can!!!! Once the addiction really sets in, you will never be the same!

Beautiful haul!!! Nice job,bro!!!

Congrats on a successful surf outing! Those tides make a huge impact on fishing. High tide is the way to go for the perch. Hope to see more reports from you soon

Thanks guys! It's too late for me, I'm all in. Looking forward to the next trip out, and it sounds like as the water gets warmer the fishing should pick up too...?

Welcome to the addiction! That's a great session you had there. The water is warming up so get ready for some fun! Great job getting that prego back in the water. A lot of big perch I've caught never got their photo-op for the same reason. Looking forward to reading MANY more successful outings in the near future and beyond from you.

Thanks for sharing!
    Don

Hi ya mjm29287,

First of all .... "Welcome" to FNN .... and thank you for posting your first fish report here!
    Secondly ..... I read by the quality of your written fishing session, that you have also paid close attention to all of the valuable INTEL shared freely by the FNN and SWAT family members .... and you are catching quality fish by using the family shared knowledge. WTG! This is definitely the spirit of FNN at work! And in turn .... your shared report will offer up help and support to the next welcomed NEWBIE! Heck ... I still refer to myself as "the GRASSHOPPER" and I appreciate any and all INTELL! Thanks for sharing!
    Lastly ......... "Congratulations" on beaching your PB 14" BSP! And a pregnant one at that!!

And finally the "Last Lastly" ... Excellent CPR job on getting the Pregnant Perch Mommy and her Fry back into the suds ..... as quickly as possible!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><
    Last edited by SP Dan; 03-19-2013 at 11:24 AM. Reason: SP