Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Salty on the Fly

Default Getting Salty on the Fly

For a while, I'd been anticipating hitting the salt with Guide Capt. Bill Matthews of Fly Time Guide Services again. http://flytimeflyfishing.com/wordpress/ We left Cabrillo ramp around 6:30 Sat. Plan was initially to head over the channel, but the swells were at 8 seconds, so we opted to stay close by. We fished the wall in & out with success at both. I managed 4, and Bo Pak, of LB Police Harbor Patrol, doubled that number I am sure.

I was throwing my TFO Lefty Kreh 9wt. but broke it after a couple of hours. I think I whacked it good with a fly at some point. I already sent it off to TFO to replace the part-$25.00 and some postage later. I LOVE TFO's no fault warranty! Capn Bill had a great assortment of backup rods. He runs some beautiful Hatch large arbor reels, and Sage rods.

Here's Cap'n Bill fishing on his sweet Edgewater. This boat is CLEAN! It's totally set up with rails and stripping baskets for casting fly rods.

He has a nice remote control trolling motor so he can get us into the pockets between the kelp too. We worked the wall like the bass pros work a shoreline.

Bo is a funny story. The guy is doing fly fishing all backwards! LOL! He is a master fly tier, but has barely fly fished before. Captn Bill and I gave him instruction, and like I said, he outfished me!

Bo nails a nice one.

I used some gorgeous flies that Dave Valadez graciously gave me to fish while we were at the FFF booth at Fred Hall. Thanks Dave! Here is one I nailed. I love the take of a calico. There's no mistaking it!

I caught a tippet class record sea cucumber! LOL!

At one point I saw a gray whale calf swim nearby. We tried to get a better look, but he dove out of sight and we never saw him reappear. We also saw common dolphins, Bottlenose dolphins, sea lions, and a harbor seal.

This trip was also the delivery of Cap'n Bill's new Teak, Mahogany & Wenge boat net. I inlaid "Fly Time" in brass on the inside of the hoop. He was apparently happy!

Here are a few shots of the build. The Burmese teak was cut over 40 years ago. This is the good stuff!

We broke it in nicely.

More fish.

Love getting a fish on a fly I tied. This is a sardine pattern.

Another amazing morning on the sea with some good friends.

THANKS CAPn BILL! I am really looking fwd to our Barracuda trip in May. :bananadance:

beautiful net!

Greg,

It's good to read another one of your reports.........Very Cool!

That had to be a blast getting to catch fish on a fly you tied yourself and then bring it to the boat with one of your nets. I'm sure that your flies are as much a piece of art as your nets! Awesome!

Greg, what's next.. build a boat? JK of course. Looks like a great time and I can only imagine the summer cuda bite on one of the fly rods.
    Thanks for sharing the trip.

WWO

Greg you are livin life the right way brotha, keep the reports coming....I need to book a trip with Capt Madgi in 2013! ("Dont tell Yimmy" )

Hope all is well Greg.

TD

Great report and beautiful work on that net! Thanks for the read and picts.

Don

Wow! Not only catching fish on a fly you tied, but landing it in a net you crafted! Must feel good!

Great job,and beautiful fish!!!

Quote Originally Posted by troutdog View Post
    Greg you are livin life the right way brotha, keep the reports coming....I need to book a trip with Capt Madgi in 2013! ("Dont tell Yimmy" )

Hope all is well Greg.

TD
    LMAO!!!! I just saw "Yimmy" at the Fred Hall! LOL!

Man, we have to fish again! Maybe this summer?

Wow nice craftsmanship on that net. Fly fishing looks so cool. more like an art than a sport. Looked like a fun day for y'all.

Thumbs up

Great job on the fly Greg... and beautiful net as always.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast