Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dockweiler 3/17 surf/jetty

Default Dockweiler 3/17 surf/jetty

Got to Dockweiler at 10am (because I was so lazy to wake up) anyways arrived to horrible water conditions. The water was somewhat clean in some areas but there was so much weeds and trash in the water every cast resulted in junk on your line. If you could cast far enough into the cleaner water you would get some bites but they were probably micro perch. Annoyed by the weeds and garbage I tried the jetty.

Worked the swimbait along the weeds for nada but then I tried working the drop shot. Then after a while I manage a little halibut(I think it is) I haven't caught a pancake in months. Not a bad way to beat the skunk.
    Some pics.

Yoy went, you caught and you released....GOOD JOB!!
    Robert
    <><

nice coming through on bad conditions

Hi ya fish4life,

You hung in there, you persevered the terrible salad conditions....
    and was rewarded with the correct type of flat fish! WTG! The ... SKUNK BUSTER BABY!!

Thanx for the fish report with pic's!

SP Dan <"))><

nice catch. my guess (based on the rounded caudal fin) would be that your fish was a rock sole.

Nice!!! Cant wait to get a flat one myself! Soon enough!

Salad in the surf is my biggest pet peeve while surf fishing. I can deal with wind, swells, bad tide or whatever, but when it's too weedy to work your lure, you're done.
    Good job making the best of it. Not sure if that's a Halibut, might be some kind of Flounder or something.

x2 on the flounder.

Nice job out there! I know that the amount of salad reported would have likely discouraged me from even trying. Way to persevere and land one!

I had a feeling it wasn't a California halibut. Anyways new species is always a plus. :)

Tough conditions out there for you, but way to beat the stripe...and with a new species to boot!

Congrats!!!
    Don

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast