Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Golden Trout in Los Angeles National Forest (perhaps?): Trout Report

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Of Fish View Post
    The bandana looks like thin cotton doesn't U.V penetrate something that thin? I guess he was in a shaded area
    though . I had a second thought was it an attempt to camouflage face shine because of spooky fish? I thought about the OP's bandana color choice and am thinking it served that purpose as well perhaps IDK.
    HagZ have you ever heard of Browns having been planter in this stream ?
    I suppose some penetration would occur but I don't really know how much. Indeed, fish can see above water, anything bright like skin flash and bright colors will alert fish that something isn't normal and therefore put them on guard, especially in ultra clear water that doesn't see a lot of traffic. I know of several anglers who swear by camo and neutral colored boat hulls such as black, white, grey, and sky blue. They'll only wear camo, tan, green, black, or brown clothing as well. When I was younger I hiked and fished so many creeks it's ridiculous, but it's been so long since then, they all tend to bleed together as far as recognizing terrain, so I'm really not sure where this particular creek is located. But yes indeed, brownies were stocked in some of our area creeks...

So I asked a gentleman working at the BPS fly fishing shoppe about the fish in question and he said that they are definitely browns and that lighter coloration may be due to the skinniness of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Of Fish View Post
    By the way I know of at least three SO Cal drainage's with confirmed Brown Trout.
    I know of 4 creeks in So cal that have brown trout. Plus I know of a creek that has trout that have DNA back to steelhead runs that use to take place in our creeks. I know this because that guy that did the study told us.

Unless it was Kurt or Vince at BSP, most of the guys that filter thru the fly shop wouldn't know a wild fish if it bit them in the arse. Not to say they aren't legit anglers, but if you have not spent a lot of back country time, you don't really know. Be like me commenting on whether a LMB is a southern strain or not...

The gill plate and lateral line colorization are your first clues of it being a bow. Then, when you see the pectoral and anal fins, it's a dead giveaway. You have C&R'd a mature local buck and should be complimented. He's been in the water enough seasons to lose his par marks, and with the spawn starting to take shape, he's the Alpha bow in full color. Awesome!

And, as Viejo mentioned, I'd keep your spot low key. With 13,000,000 people next door, it only takes a couple to decimate a run. And, way to rock the buff!
    Last edited by Fish Cop; 03-17-2013 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Cop View Post
    Unless it was Kurt or Vince at BSP, most of the guys that filter thru the fly shop wouldn't know a wild fish if it bit them in the arse. Not to say they aren't legit anglers, but if you have not spent a lot of back country time, you don't really know. Be like me commenting on whether a LMB is a southern strain or not...

The gill plate and lateral line colorization are your first clues of it being a bow. Then, when you see the pectoral and anal fins, it's a dead giveaway. You have C&R'd a mature local buck and should be complimented. He's been in the water enough seasons to lose his par marks, and with the spawn starting to take shape, he's the Alpha bow in full color. Awesome!

And, as Viejo mentioned, I'd keep your spot low key. With 13,000,000 people next door, it only takes a couple to decimate a run. And, way to rock the buff!
    "Legit anglers"

Lolz

nice trout ,some of the coloring may be them getting ready to spawn, the littlerock and bigrock drainage both have nice browns from way back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    "Legit anglers"

Lolz
    No disrespect meant. But sometimes the guy who's the **** on offshore dope fills in over in the fly section. He may able to tell you every which way to Sunday what iron is working on the yellowtail in the Coronado's during springtime (BTW- scrambled egg or birdshit, deep yo-yo), but he's only speculating when it comes to a backcountry fish the size of a race horse sardine. Hell, I've had people behind the counter in the flyshop try to lay a line of BS on me a mile thick. It's comical at times. A wild fish passion is a specialized, almost geeky kind of sickness.. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    nice trout ,some of the coloring may be them getting ready to spawn, the littlerock and bigrock drainage both have nice browns from way back,,,,,,,,,,,,,,T/O,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Thanks T/O. If you say they're bows, they are bows. I was about to clip a fin and run a DNA analysis. You did mean they are bows- right?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish Cop View Post
    No disrespect meant. But sometimes the guy who's the **** on offshore dope fills in over in the fly section. He may able to tell you every which way to Sunday what iron is working on the yellowtail in the Coronado's during springtime (BTW- scrambled egg or birdshit, deep yo-yo), but he's only speculating when it comes to a backcountry fish the size of a race horse sardine. Hell, I've had people behind the counter in the flyshop try to lay a line of BS on me a mile thick. It's comical at times. A wild fish passion is a specialized, almost geeky kind of sickness.. LOL.
    Lol. You sir are correct. Before I went over to the flyfishing section, I was listening to one of the employees talking up a customer on how to catch a DD bass like he was KVD. Gotta love BSers.

Quote Originally Posted by bowler View Post
    I know of 4 creeks in So cal that have brown trout. Plus I know of a creek that has trout that have DNA back to steelhead runs that use to take place in our creeks. I know this because that guy that did the study told us.
    Yep Steel Head actually have limited runs on Santa Margarita Creek on Camp Penleton when there is enough water flowing . No fishing for them is allowed though . I have seen them as far up the creek as Fall Brook when we get good amounts of rain.
    Last edited by Stalker Of Fish; 03-17-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast