Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wild Golden Trout in Los Angeles National Forest (perhaps?): Trout Report

Quote Originally Posted by carpanglerdude View Post
    Thanks, interesting to learn about that change in coloration.

Viejo, I understand where you are coming from and you know my opinion on this. As long as I feel a spot is adequately hidden away in the video/photos, I feel considerably less concerned about the 'bros' locating it. That, and the several hour long hike are fairly effective deterrents.

I've received a lot of positive feedback for my videos on hidden waterways, both urban and rural. Most memorable amongst these was an individual thanking me for allowing him to again experience the great outdoors, since he was physically handicapped from doing so as he used to. Call it naive, but getting to share such an experience and bless others with it, while taking adequate steps to keep an area hidden, seems like the right thing to do.

I've added the new photo better showing off the trout's colors
    You and I have had discussion about this and we agree on many things and disagree on a few. Your production techniques get better each time. As you know, I respect your work enough to perhaps share it on an even bigger platform. I still believe in the "loose lips" concept and that a very few will spoil it forever. That is a chance you have chosen to take. I personally don't believe you can have it both ways. I recently hiked for an hour and a half in a different area only to be greeted by a stack of "Milwaukee's Best" beer cans and a giant wad of monofiiment that I packed out.

I have seen the full range of color phases on Rainbows from silver to the yellow cast with red striping. I have also seen very dark Rainbows that were almost black come from areas of a drainage with lots of decaying vegetation and detritus on the bottom. I might give the Mojave River Hatchery or the Kern River Hatchery a call and see what they say about hybridization. Don't know if the Angeles NF still has a fisheries person after all the cuts but they would sure know.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    So what you're saying is that the rainbow was too big for the brown to eat, and the brown ended up mating with it? LOL
    I don't know if rainbows and browns can mate, just a guess. This made me laugh pretty hard though ha

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Of Fish View Post
    I gotta ask what's with the masked fisherman photos ? I understand keeping your spot on the D.L. but your face?
    Unless you have been featured on Americas most wanted or are an aspiring Taliban apprentice I have to wonder why .
    I am new here so maybe there is a great reason for it . If so I would like to know . By the way some people are savy enough
    to use foliage clues to find areas as well as geological and other natural clues so be advised a picture does speak a thousand words
    to those who care to listen . I keep my guesses to my self but I think it's fun to use clues and try and name the spot .
    I enjoyed your post and am glad you provide someone disabled a means to experience Wild Trout fishing !
    Koudos on a great writeup I love river and stream fishing more than any other .
    Thanks
    Not really a mask. More of a sun deterrent. Keeps the sun off and keeps u surprisingly cool.

Why would someone care about what another guy/ angler is wearing?? why would you wanna see his face???????

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
    Not really a mask. More of a sun deterrent. Keeps the sun off and keeps u surprisingly cool.
    Mosquitoes, too.

Brown trout were planted in one SoCal drainage in 1968. The depicted fish look like rainbow variations I've seen for 45 years in back-country waterways in SoCal.

The historical stocking records show a variety of interbreeding trout –rainbow,golden,cutthroat- being stocked in the mountains of Southern California. Add this mix to the existing native gene pool, add environmental factors, and you can get some beautiful looking fish. Thanks for sharing your adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by flytyingreloader View Post
    Mosquitoes, too.

Brown trout were planted in one SoCal drainage in 1968. The depicted fish look like rainbow variations I've seen for 45 years in back-country waterways in SoCal.
    Cadilyak thanks for the info. By the way I know of at least three SO Cal drainage's with confirmed Brown Trout.

IRavensFan Where did I say I wanted to see his face you weenie tot? I was curious OK? I have only seen wraps like that in the Desert .

Now a question for you . What kind of azzbackward dude would admit to being a Ravens Fan for Christ sake ?
    I sure as hell wouldn't claim that! Keep that sheet on the D.L. in So. Cal ! Have you no shame man?
    Ravens Fans are banned from Skinner Res. sorry dude stick to the pay lakes it's more your speed! HA HA HA HA HA

I bet you are one of those Bucket of Booger Brigade wieners like Skyler and Dark-Quagga can any of ya even catch a fish
    to save your life?
    Last edited by Stalker Of Fish; 03-17-2013 at 08:49 AM.

carpanglerdude,

Very nice report, great pics and fish too! Looks like u did very well.

Just wanted to add my 10cents. I think u do a very good job protecting ur spots and these pics don't tell too much unless someone knows the area. Plus it's quite a trek out there to the spot...So if anyone on these forums knows the spots and hits it later they deserve to fish it. I'm sure a very high percentage from these forums who makes the drive and hike will respect our good fishing spots.

-b

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillyak View Post
    Best skin cancer preventative there is. Most anglers know that sunscreens on hands = fish deterrent...

Quote Originally Posted by HawgZWylde View Post
    Best skin cancer preventative there is. Most anglers know that sunscreens on hands = fish deterrent...
    The bandana looks like thin cotton doesn't U.V penetrate something that thin? I guess he was in a shaded area
    though . I had a second thought was it an attempt to camouflage face shine because of spooky fish? I thought about the OP's bandana color choice and am thinking it served that purpose as well perhaps IDK.
    HagZ have you ever heard of Browns having been planter in this stream ?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast