Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear Lake Report

Default Big Bear Lake Report

Well today I decided enough was enough. Enough of work. Enough of family. Enough stress! So I decided to play hookie from everyone! That's right! Everyone!

I got up to BBL at around 10 am. Hit Juniper Point first. Caught 1 on PB with Bite On Roe. Threw it as far out as possible with the heaviest bullet weight I had. Used a 2 foot leader. Had another bite and dragged for a while on PB on a treble hook with a mice tail orange/green head. It was a nice fight too, but ended up losing it. I ended giving my fish to an older gentleman who was fishing since yesterday and hadn't caught one. I was at Juniper for about 1.5 hours.

Then hit Stanfield Cut for about 45 minutes for nada. Zilch.

Then hit Boulder Bay and had a nice hit, but I was slow to react and lost it. Trout bit on 1/2 nightcrawler 4 feet under a bobber. Was there for about 1.5 hours. Then I decided I would drive to the dam, but saw some people hanging out at the bridge (pipe as wardens call it). Saw two people fishing there near the pipe (tunnel) and saw at least 80 trout in shallow water. The people fishing there said that they were throwing everything they had except the kitchen sink and nothing all day. They were there since morning and in the afternoon, they still had nothing.

Then I decided to hit the south side of the dam. Tons of fish swimming. So I used a slip bobber with a 1/2 crawler. Adjusted depth but nothing. I used a kastmaster rainbow style and had a few chase, but turned away at last second. Then I used my Super Duper and ended up "finning" a carp. Nice size...at least 4 pounds. Nice battle too! Rippin' my line. The carp was not happy at all. I managed to get the hook out.

Overall a great day to get away from everybody and just me and the little fishies. Bite was super slow everywhere, but weather was spectacular with some wind.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trout.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	9.0 KB 
ID:	39569  

Here's a pic of the carp caught at the dam.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-03-13_15-41-25_944-1.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	19.1 KB 
ID:	39570  

Quote Originally Posted by Troutin Man View Post
    Well today I decided enough was enough. Enough of work. Enough of family. Enough stress! So I decided to play hookie from everyone! That's right! Everyone!

I got up to BBL at around 10 am. Hit Juniper Point first. Caught 1 on PB with Bite On Roe. Threw it as far out as possible with the heaviest bullet weight I had. Used a 2 foot leader. Had another bite and dragged for a while on PB on a treble hook with a mice tail orange/green head. It was a nice fight too, but ended up losing it. I ended giving my fish to an older gentleman who was fishing since yesterday and hadn't caught one. I was at Juniper for about 1.5 hours.

Then hit Stanfield Cut for about 45 minutes for nada. Zilch.

Then hit Boulder Bay and had a nice hit, but I was slow to react and lost it. Trout bit on 1/2 nightcrawler 4 feet under a bobber. Was there for about 1.5 hours. Then I decided I would drive to the dam, but saw some people hanging out at the bridge (pipe as wardens call it). Saw two people fishing there near the pipe (tunnel) and saw at least 80 trout in shallow water. The people fishing there said that they were throwing everything they had except the kitchen sink and nothing all day. They were there since morning and in the afternoon, they still had nothing.

Then I decided to hit the south side of the dam. Tons of fish swimming. So I used a slip bobber with a 1/2 crawler. Adjusted depth but nothing. I used a kastmaster rainbow style and had a few chase, but turned away at last second. Then I used my Super Duper and ended up "finning" a carp. Nice size...at least 4 pounds. Nice battle too! Rippin' my line. The carp was not happy at all. I managed to get the hook out.

Overall a great day to get away from everybody and just me and the little fishies. Bite was super slow everywhere, but weather was spectacular with some wind.
    Nice job. I was up there two weeks ago and it was super windy (25mph) and the high for the day was 32F but i did get 4 nice trout on white power eggs. It was about a 5lbs stringer total weight for 4 trout.

Hope those guys fishing for the 80 trout were fishing in the lake and not in the tunnel or on the creek side of the tunnel. No fishing the tributaries of BBL right now, that's a big DFG no no and will get um a ticket for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    Hope those guys fishing for the 80 trout were fishing in the lake and not in the tunnel or on the creek side of the tunnel. No fishing the tributaries of BBL right now, that's a big DFG no no and will get um a ticket for sure.
    They were not in the tunnel, but next to it. I was told 100 yards from the tributary. What is the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutin Man View Post
    They were not in the tunnel, but next to it. I was told 100 yards from the tributary. What is the rule?
    100 yards? Not positive of the distance but I think it was more like 100 ft or something from the inlet not 100 yards but that's from the opening of the inlet so if they were fishing for them right by the pipe I think that is legally considered a no no.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    100 yards? Not positive of the distance but I think it was more like 100 ft or something from the inlet not 100 yards but that's from the opening of the inlet so if they were fishing for them right by the pipe I think that is legally considered a no no.
    Yes. I mean 100 feet from the tributary. However, they were fishing right up against the pipe, but were fishing in the actual lake part of it. They were basically against the wall and short casting directly in front of them or toward the lake away from the tunnel. So is it myth, fiction, or fact?

Waiting on my buddy to get here so we can leave. We were thinking bbl but now not so sure. Stupid spawning

Thanks for the report TM it looks like you covered alot of the lake and threw out a whole lot. Im heading up the BBL tomorrow morning lets hope i can get a few.

I am glad for the report. Thank you! I went to jenks instead and had a great time. No one there the first part of the morning and bite was on. My buddy and i Only kept 3 bigger ones and let go at least 10. Wish every Friday was like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast