Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First day with conventional reel & got skunked at LB Jetty

Wtg...practice and you will be a pro ..soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
    Practice, practice, practice... you will get the hang of it in no time.
    I still get "professional over-runs" now and then...
    A "professional over-run" is, when you have huge fish on the end of your line and a backlash, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sidified View Post
    ''When you get that beutiful nest ,put your thumb on your line and reel forward pressing on the spool,release,pull line til it stops ,wind again with finger on spool''

That advice is golden, Wahbam.. I'll just add that you'll need to button down that drag so you can apply the necessary pressure on the spool. Works like a charm.
    That was the best tip I ever found learning how to cast with a bait cast reel. I can clear most birds nest in a matter of seconds versus minutes or having to cut the line off.

The other thing that help me was practicing with lures instead of weights. I would use broken lures and wrap them in duct tape to keep the lure from exploding should I drill it into a wall or the ground. Lures float in the air and create resistance that you dont get when practicing with weights. Would go out to the backyard every night and practice for 15-30 minutes and after a few weeks, my confidence and ability to cast improved considerably. Still get occasional birds nests and struggle to get anything less 3/4oz across the Aqueduct, but will get there someday.

Keep at it and it will soon become second nature to cast 'em.

Default Alamitos

Yeah, I as there that day to, and nothing was biting, probably

because there was not a good bait presence. Gonna pic up soon

when water temps.increase !

Thanks again for the additional tips everyone. Yeah I was on youtube looking at videos prior to going out & saw what you guys said about getting out backlashes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDI5k...5znprw&index=8

Now I wanna get a new rod, but people are telling to stick with the Daiwa VIP rod & others are telling me to buy a surf rod...

I managed to cast it just as far as my Daiwa Opus matched with an ugly stik. Like in the middle of the San Gabriel River.

Get a conventional reel with levelwind and magnetic break control as apposed to Centrifugal breaks. The magnetc reels are helpful when your first learning how to cast as it will prevent heavy over runs.

Plan example would be a Daiwa Luna 203 or 253 or the Daiwa Lexa 100 or 300. Doesn't have to be Daiwa any Manufacture that has magnetic breaks.

But i think spinning reel for surf fishing is the easiest to use and you'll have more fun fishing as appose to taking out birdsnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightline View Post
    Get a conventional reel with levelwind and magnetic break control as apposed to Centrifugal breaks. The magnetc reels are helpful when your first learning how to cast as it will prevent heavy over runs.

Plan example would be a Daiwa Luna 203 or 253 or the Daiwa Lexa 100 or 300. Doesn't have to be Daiwa any Manufacture that has magnetic breaks.

But i think spinning reel for surf fishing is the easiest to use and you'll have more fun fishing as appose to taking out birdsnest.
    Alright thanks, I'll use my opus for jerk baits & my saltist as a wait & bait. Gonna hit up seal beach pier, if you see me(5 foot 9 in tall asian wearing sunglasses & a canvas hat) with a Daiwa Saltist BG say hi!

How ya doing WAHBAM,
    The most important thing is to get out there and fish.
    Water is still a little cool, but it is warming up a bit.
    I personally like the spinning reel. I had a couple of baitcasters and just didn't like the way they casted.
    So I gave them away!
    You will get the hang of them, especially being on a pier. Perfect place to practice.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    How ya doing WAHBAM,
    The most important thing is to get out there and fish.
    Water is still a little cool, but it is warming up a bit.
    I personally like the spinning reel. I had a couple of baitcasters and just didn't like the way they casted.
    So I gave them away!
    You will get the hang of them, especially being on a pier. Perfect place to practice.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Robert
    <><
    Hey I'm doing okay. I ended up catching a seastar my buddy caught a rock crab using squid. Maybe our bait was too heavy or our lines weren't tight haha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12