Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First day with conventional reel & got skunked at LB Jetty

Default First day with conventional reel & got skunked at LB Jetty

When I wasn't freeing out my birds nest I was throwing squid, LCs, & some watermelon plastic shads with anchovy oil & nothing. I didn't see anyone catch anything today either, at least I got to practice some casting.

Gotta keep practicing. It'll come with time...and you'll still get your fair share of "professional overruns" even after you thought you had it down pat. The payoff will be when you feel that rod load up with a nice fatty on the end.

Thanks for sharing!
    Don

Practice, practice, practice... you will get the hang of it in no time.
    I still get "professional over-runs" now and then...

The first few times out with a baitcaster is quite frustrating lol. You'll get it in no time.
    Seems like the LB jetty is still a little slow lately. Haven't been there in a while since it slowed down.
    Thanks for the report though. I was actually considering fishing somewhere close to there this week.

Thien

Hi ya WAHBAM,

I believe that it's probably better to familiarize yourself with your gear prior to getting your rod all loaded up with a legal and get a nest!
    It happens to all......that's the nature of the conventional reel for ya!
    A lot of people swear by these reels and are rewarded quite well with a large variety of legals! I hope that this will be the case for you!
    For me .... I prefer a good ol' spinning reel!

Don't give up .... keep at it ..... and you will be rewarded!

Thanx for the fishing report! I'll be looking forward to reading your future reports Sir!

SP Dan <"))><

Yeah its not to bad after a while youget the hang of the adjustments ,,2 tips,,,1:put your bait on ,hold your rod tip up ,press button ,let the bait hit ground ,see how much overspin ,and adjust,2:when you get that beutiful nest ,put your thumb on your line and reel forward pressing on the spool,release,pull line til it stops ,wind again with finger on spool ,that gets it out 75 to 85 percent,,cast cast cast ,youll get it,,lotsofbites

Thanks everyone, I really really want to catch my first halibut haha. I got the Daiwa Saltist bg 35h for 180 after tax & it came with a free t-shirt, samurai braid, & a Daiwa VIP rod from the Fred Hall show. A guy came by & told me I was using boat gear, but I ignored him. Am I using boat gear? haha

Quote Originally Posted by WAHBAM View Post
    Am I using boat gear? haha
    Actually, yea, that's a little heavy to be throwing LCs with. Nice 25-30# combo for albie fishing though.

Haha well good thing I have 5 other rods to use...

''When you get that beutiful nest ,put your thumb on your line and reel forward pressing on the spool,release,pull line til it stops ,wind again with finger on spool''

That advice is golden, Wahbam.. I'll just add that you'll need to button down that drag so you can apply the necessary pressure on the spool. Works like a charm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast