Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surf Report 3/12/2013

Last year there was a huge dredging project at MDR. They scooped out the whole entrance to MDR and removed all of the deep debris that had collected there over the decades. This was a special deep cleaning unlike the removal of typical annual sand buildup. All of the debris was then loaded onto a big old rubbish vessel and hauled out to the end of the Chit pipe at the Hyperian Sewage treatment plant.
    I was doing some recon last year for a new Hunting Giants location and Dock was a possibility until I saw all of the debris that washed up on the beach. I guess they thought that all of the debris would sink but apparently they were wrong. I'm sure that the recent storm brought a lot of junk down the various rivers and storm drains too. SAMO bay is just getting real nasty in so many ways.
    Eventually ......... It will be too late to heal the bay IMHO.

Glad to hear you hit the sand though ........ some of your new species can fight quite hard in a good swell or current !

Quote Originally Posted by mjm29287 View Post
    Thanks for the report.

I ran into the thing on Sunday in Santa Monica south of Temescal, tons of debris, very frustrating!
    Thanks man! Yeah, frustrating is putting it lightly, in my case!

Quote Originally Posted by bones View Post
    Last year there was a huge dredging project at MDR. They scooped out the whole entrance to MDR and removed all of the deep debris that had collected there over the decades. This was a special deep cleaning unlike the removal of typical annual sand buildup. All of the debris was then loaded onto a big old rubbish vessel and hauled out to the end of the Chit pipe at the Hyperian Sewage treatment plant.
    I was doing some recon last year for a new Hunting Giants location and Dock was a possibility until I saw all of the debris that washed up on the beach. I guess they thought that all of the debris would sink but apparently they were wrong. I'm sure that the recent storm brought a lot of junk down the various rivers and storm drains too. SAMO bay is just getting real nasty in so many ways.
    Eventually ......... It will be too late to heal the bay IMHO.

Glad to hear you hit the sand though ........ some of your new species can fight quite hard in a good swell or current !
    The dredging barely finshed a couple of months ago, if Im not mistaken. The fishing at the end of the jetties took a big hit because of that operation.

And believe it or not, those dinks I caught definitely felt like something other than Barred Perch when hooked!

Ooooooooo.....

Exotics.......

Thanks for the report.

Any report is better then no report.

if it was me i would have kept the underwear but thats just me

Quote Originally Posted by FishinElectrician View Post
    Well, I had about 3 hours of free time today, so I went to Dockweiler Beach today, to see if the fish were willing to bite. Decided to throw a carolina rigged Big Hammer Perch grub in motor oil christmas, to look for any biters. I only stayed maybe about an hour, because the water was extremely full of debris, consisting of mostly trash, and, believe it or not, clothes. It was disgusting. After hooking into a pair of underwear, that was the last straw for me. I was outta there.

Ended the day with two new species I havent caught from the surf, a walleye surf perch, and a big ol smelt! Hopefully by the next time I go out, the debris fields have subsided, and the fish are biting more agressively.

Thanks for reading guys!

is it possible this debis is from japan 2011. they said it would arive here htis year.

Quote Originally Posted by Lightline View Post
    Ooooooooo.....

Exotics.......

Thanks for the report.

Any report is better then no report.
    I wouldnt go as fas as to call them "exotics", but two more species of fish I had yet to catch!

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
    if it was me i would have kept the underwear but thats just me
    No way, man. My wife has plenty of fresh, clean underwear for herself! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    is it possible this debis is from japan 2011. they said it would arive here htis year.
    I dont think so. I think its domestic. It was a bunch of soda bottles, chip bags, THOUSANDS of those little foil Swisher cigar tubes, stuff like that. Unfortunately, it looked like the remnants of ghetto cuisine...

Your perch dangling from that Boga grip is priceless.. Faced with that sucker, my eyes would be bugging out too! Thanks for the report

Good job getting a couple new species F.E.
    There will be plenty more where they came from.
    Keep up the good work,
    Robert
    <><

Quote Originally Posted by sidified View Post
    Your perch dangling from that Boga grip is priceless.. Faced with that sucker, my eyes would be bugging out too! Thanks for the report
    LMAO! I know, I know. I just want to be able to use it on anything I catch! You shoulda seen the look on those B&H workers faces when I was takin pics of those dinks!

Quote Originally Posted by murrieta angler View Post
    Good job getting a couple new species F.E.
    There will be plenty more where they came from.
    Keep up the good work,
    Robert
    <><
    Thank you, sir!!! I am always glad to accept praise from Ceasar!!! (So to speak! LOL!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12