Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Bear Lake Rainbows on Slip Bobber - video report

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    You are right that can be a problem, but there is a simple way to avoid that problem I've figured out. When using a spinning reel pay attention to the bobber stop when coming on to the reel and push it down to the base of the spool as the line goes around. That way when casting the line is less likely to caught on the stopper. It is frustrating without this tip to have your cast stop short, or line snap due to interference of the stopper. If you don't understand I can draw a picture to explain.
    One good thing about a float tube! You can drop your line where you want to and kick away. No casting needed. Thats not what i do all the time....but if needed.
    Let me know and I'll bring my old tube for you to try out up there.

Quote Originally Posted by geedavell View Post
    One good thing about a float tube! You can drop your line where you want to and kick away. No casting needed. Thats not what i do all the time....but if needed.
    Let me know and I'll bring my old tube for you to try out up there.
    Thanks for the offer, I go out on my kayak and do the same thing once the weather warms up. Drifting with the slip bobbers a couple feet from the boat is a lot of fun too. The floats disapear so fast that the rod is usually bent right over before you grab it from the holder during the summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Calicanuck View Post
    You are right that can be a problem, but there is a simple way to avoid that problem I've figured out. When using a spinning reel pay attention to the bobber stop when coming on to the reel and push it down to the base of the spool as the line goes around. That way when casting the line is less likely to caught on the stopper. It is frustrating without this tip to have your cast stop short, or line snap due to interference of the stopper. If you don't understand I can draw a picture to explain.
    Hats off. Great tip! Keep the vids coming!

Calicanuck,

I'm headed up to Big Bear next week for the first time and plan to use this slip bobber approach. We're staying in Boulder Bay. Any other tips for this area? Looks like the weather temps will be dropping back down to the 40's.

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Risso View Post
    Calicanuck,

I'm headed up to Big Bear next week for the first time and plan to use this slip bobber approach. We're staying in Boulder Bay. Any other tips for this area? Looks like the weather temps will be dropping back down to the 40's.

Thanks in advance!
    So if you get there early in the day start out shallow with your stopper, 8 feet down. Then very it during the day to increase you action. I go deeper when the sun is at its highest mid day, down to 15 feet. If you see fish swimming around near the surface you can try putting it at 4-5 feet down which works sometimes if they are very active. With the temps on the down swing though they may be less active and you may not catch as many as on a warming trend. Good luck up their. Also if the slip bobber is not working try something else. Don't sit there all day using the same thing if you aren't seeing any bites on that bobber.

Yes, I'll definitely be using different methods. We'll be there for four days, so plenty of time to experiment. I just picked up some bolsa bobbers today. This will be my son's first time fishing a lake, so he'll be learning a lot this weekend! By the way, do you ever use power worms with this technique, or always real worms?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Risso View Post
    Yes, I'll definitely be using different methods. We'll be there for four days, so plenty of time to experiment. I just picked up some bolsa bobbers today. This will be my son's first time fishing a lake, so he'll be learning a lot this weekend! By the way, do you ever use power worms with this technique, or always real worms?

Thanks a lot for your feedback. Much appreciated.
    Just real worms.

Quote Originally Posted by dkinla View Post
    ... a great place to use this rig is near the dam where it gets pretty deep, right?

thanks again!
    Last time i fished slip bobbers at the dam it was only 40' deep in the middle. there is a lot of silt built up by the dam over the years. The water was low back then. you could see the old dam.

good info calicanuck I will be going up on saturday morning and staying overnight in big bear probably fishing sunday morning as well...I may give this method a go.

thanks again.

Hey guys, just thought I would share a video of my son catching his first fish of many more to come! We didn't have any luck with the slip-bobber technique, but they were biting just fine on garlic eggs!

Last edited by Risso; 03-21-2013 at 10:40 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast