Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Birthday wednesday, Sarl or Irvine from shore?

Default Birthday wednesday, Sarl or Irvine from shore?

Hey hey!

It's my birthday this coming wednesday so I decided to bring out a group of friends to go trout fishing for the day. There will be about 5 or 6 of us and we'll most likely be fishing from shore. I think most of us are on a budget so boats will most likely not be rented.

What would you guys/girls recommend for shore fishing? I've read reports about how it's difficult to access some parts of irvine lake if the water level up. I've never fished either lake before so whichever one I end up going to on wednesday I'll probably go to the other one the next time I go.

I think I'm leaning towards Lake Irvine, but would appreciate any feedback. I looked up some old posts and some of the FNN regulars were recommending Trout Island at the point and tossing out as far as you can, or Sierra Cove. Is that still the best advice? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Most of us will probably be dunking powerbait or mice tails, altho I'll probably have 1 bait pole and work jigs/spinners on my 2nd.

I also considered Laguna Niguel Lake but their website doesn't look like it's been updated since January so I'm not sure of the stocking schedule.

Thanks in advance for your help guys/girls!

dont consider LNL.. from what i have heard this year, it is supposed to be shut down or something and nobody is having success there.. since you have never fished either lake here are some things to consider and some info.
    Irvine: this is a great lake, big and away from the busy city. This lake since it is surrounded mountains, it is 1000% times closer to nature than you will get at SARL. It will probably be less crowded because it is bigger. The quality of the fish are great at Irvine, but you may not catch as many as SARL. If you choose to fish here Trout Island is good and so is the west shore.
    SARL: You probably have a better chance of everyone catching fish here but with that increased chance of fish there is also the loss of the scenery. SARL is a hole in the ground right beside a busy freeway. Don't get me wrong, the quality of fish here are great but SARL lacks the feel of relaxing in the "real outdoors". SARL is also stocked with bigger fish if you care much about that.(just cause I say this doesn't guarantee fish). If you choose to fish here I would recommend the bubble hole. It is the area where water flows into the lake. Straight back from the gate you pass to pay your admission and enter.
    If you want to be closer to nature go to Irvine, but if all your looking for is to catch fish, go to SARL.

THESE STATEMENTS ARE ALL MY OPINIONS!! WHAT I HAVE SEEN AND LEARNED FROM FISHING BOTH LAKES!! YOUR THE ONE WHO ULTIMATELY MAKES THE DECISION!
    Hope you have a good day on the water whether it be Irvine or SARL. Make sure you write a report and take pictures!!! GOODLUCK & HAPPY BIRTHDAY BROTHER!!! *JBfish*
    Last edited by Jbfish; 03-04-2013 at 12:40 AM.

You won't be able to fish Sierra Cove without a boat, but you should have a great shot at a bunch of fish back in the flats. The "end of Trout Island" can mean a dozen different kind of spots so unless you have someone in your group who knows them, I would stick with finding a spot back in the flats. Same kind of contour you will find at SARL, steeply-sloping banks with plenty of opportunity to mix up your presentation with a varied depth attack without ever moving. Weather patterns of late point to a decent shot at a catfish or three, maybe some crappie if you target the sticks. Besides, it's that time of the year when Irvine just goes off.
    SARL on a Wednesday is the day before a plant and the fish will be worked on a lot but if you have the knack for catching, you stand a good chance at a double digit fish that just can't stand not getting fed daily any longer. Not near as many fish in the lake as there was last weekend but if any fish were left in the net pens after Sunday, they were let go Monday or Tuesday and those will be super hungry, too. Fish the Bubble Hole, La Palma Point or the boat docks.
    LNL? Not this year.
    Which lake? Heads for SARL, tails for Irvine. Good luck!

I'd say SARL. Big fish. Lots of them. Lots and lots of shoreline and you can bring your car right up to your spot. Also there is more than 1 lake you can fish. Good luck!

Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciate the tips. GOnna head out to Irvine so I'll leave ya guys a report afterwards. :D