Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apollo Park "adult Derby"

Default Apollo Park "adult Derby"

Went to the trout derby this morning. was one of the first in line (got there at 3am and camped out)

Very dissapointed.

Fish are still laying on bottom, still dieing, still hanging out right at the shoreline loagy.

Very few fish caught considering there was 1000 people.

Saw MANY people who got skunked.

I personally caught two, on a Red Rooster tail, first one was somewhat a normal fish, about 2 lbs (Didnt enter the weigh ins) second one i casted out the rooster tail, started bringing it in, and right as i got to shore another 2 lb trout bites the lure, doesnt fight or anything, i pick her up and she wiggled once, then didnt move, threw her on the stringer and she moved around in water (alive but half dead)

Just like the last month at apollo. many fish dieing, not biting, loagy, hanging out by shore.

There was about 3 six lbers caught and entered, a few 4 lbers, and 3's and 2's.

Something is wrong with the water i believe. and not the fish they are stocking. Its almost like the trout try to "beach themselves" and get out of the water.

Anyways, i got a couple and left early so it wasnt a skunk and it wasnt terrible. BUT, like i said, they need to solve the "dieing fish" problem.

owell, back to brite lake and fin& feather.

I agree there is a serious water quality issue at Apollo this year. I heard that the pumps were broken during the summer and never got fixed. Last year by this time, I'd caught dozens of hard fighting trout. This year zero. I think most of these fish go to the bottom and die. The ones that don't do that, sit in 8 inches of water until they get pounced on by a bird or snagged by an aggravated fisherman. What a huge waste.

Quote Originally Posted by PilgrimDG View Post
    I agree there is a serious water quality issue at Apollo this year. I heard that the pumps were broken during the summer and never got fixed. Last year by this time, I'd caught dozens of hard fighting trout. This year zero. I think most of these fish go to the bottom and die. The ones that don't do that, sit in 8 inches of water until they get pounced on by a bird or snagged by an aggravated fisherman. What a huge waste.

yea, it sucks cause apollo is 5 minutes from home. i could walk there if i wanted. but i dont think i want to anymore. i'll wait till it gets better. I dont like catching half dead fish anyways, they stroke out and die before u even get em in lol

Me and the daughter have been there three or four times since the beginning of the year. We've been there twice the day after they stocked. Our total take is one fish...and it was foul hooked. We've had some bites but they're just nip and spit bites...it's like the fish don't have the energy or desire to slam the bait. We've seen them swimming the shore too...no energy in these fish at all...it's like they're suffocating in the water. I agree with everyone else here...the water is the worst I've ever seen it and I've been fishing at Apollo for many years. Last time we went there was no wind and the water smelled stagnate. If they don't get the pumps fixed it's only going to get worse...I can't imagine all the dead rotting fish at the bottom are helping the water situation either. What a shame...what a waste of usually good size and hard fighting trout.

that lake is horrible--- the trout are always near the shore trying to die. The water always smells putrid. Something should really be done about this lake if they want to continue stocking it.

WTH, they held a derby at a lake in that condition?! Maybe they're trying to raise money to fix the pumps...

my dad and i both limited, all nice fighting fish, i got 8th place...nd there was one 6 lber entered, a few 5's and fish it the high 4's took 7-10 place

Quote Originally Posted by socalbassboy View Post
    my dad and i both limited, all nice fighting fish, i got 8th place...nd there was one 6 lber entered, a few 5's and fish it the high 4's took 7-10 place
    Very Cool!! What part of the lake did you guys fish? I'm thinking about trying my luck for any holdovers this Friday. I took a 7-lb fish outta there a week after the derby last year.

Quote Originally Posted by socalbassboy View Post
    Sounds like a good derby huh?

How many people did you see with more then 1 fish? BESIDES yourself and your dad?

I walked all the lakes before leaving didnt see many with more then 1 or 2, saw many that where skunked so far,For as many people as was there, that is not very good considering how many lbs of fish they put in... and as far as nice fighting fish, maybe you got into a few that where still ok, but asking a few others around the lake, and my own experiance with the fish i caught and the others ive caught so far this year, they are not "nice fighting fish" ive caught 1/2 lb trout at other lakes that fight about 90x harder then the fish in apollo.

I'm glad yall did good though.

but lets face it, as far as the lake goes, its got a problem.

they are wasting fish putting them in there.

I also got into some 6-10 lbers holdovers after last years tournament, but about a month after last years tournament is when the fish started dieing everytime they dumped em in there. they have ran the water hoses to aerate the water a few times and it has brought life back to the fish for a couple days but once they shut off the hoses, the fish go right back to the bottom and start a nice long, slow death and eventually die off.

I Love apollo, so im not being one of those people who "hates" on a lake because they dont like it.

i love the place, but its screwed up.

Quote Originally Posted by denthedad59 View Post
    Very Cool!! What part of the lake did you guys fish? I'm thinking about trying my luck for any holdovers this Friday. I took a 7-lb fish outta there a week after the derby last year.
    i fished the shoreline left of the second fishing pier all the way down to the bridge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast