Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surf Report 2/23/2013

Default Surf Report 2/23/2013

Well, I finally got a chance to hit the waves again today. Saw that high tide around the area was gonna be at 7:40 am, but I got there around 8:00 am, so I dont think i was fishin optimal conditions. Looking at the water, it felt like the bite was gonna be tough. Flat waves and super clear water is what i encountered. So, I walked the beach back and forth, seeing an occasional sea lion and diving bird work the shallows, for a couple of hours. Even fished the jetty until around 12:30, then wrapped it up and called it a day. I threw the LC in Sexy Blue for no strikes, and a Bass Pro Shops 2" Squirmin Grub in clear, silver/gold/copper flake for 2 very small perch. On the jetty I threw a 3 inch Pearl swimbait in Cherry Bomb color. Turned out to be a tough one for me today. Its a trip how the spot could produce great numbers one week, then produce squat a couple weeks later. Thats how it goes, i guess!

Im still debating on going to a different beach to fish, but I still havent decided to go north or south! Decisions Decisions!!!

Thanks for reading guys, and take care!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130223_074937.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	39272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130223_073657.jpg 
Views:	144 
Size:	43.3 KB 
ID:	39273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130223_081215.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	39274  

hard fishin in oc too i got skunked then went to the bu and also got skunked one of those days

It seems that along the coast right now the fish are in schools so some fisherman are catching a but load of fish and some are only catch a few or none at all. At least you avoided the skunk :D

was a great day down in la jolla fishing from the kayak

Quote Originally Posted by peanutbutter View Post
    hard fishin in oc too i got skunked then went to the bu and also got skunked one of those days
    Yes sir. It happens!

Quote Originally Posted by fish4life View Post
    It seems that along the coast right now the fish are in schools so some fisherman are catching a but load of fish and some are only catch a few or none at all. At least you avoided the skunk :D
    Yeah, thanks to the willing biters I found at the end, I avoided the black and white, but it also doesnt feel that way, considering those perch were baitfish sized! LOL!

Hi ya FE,

Tough fishing conditions, a few small BSP for the skunk buster and a follow up report.
    I appreciate that you wrote a session report sir!
    It let's me know that there are others out there that are fishing just as hard as I am and are coming up with the same fish counts!
    Just remember ..... when they do come back ..... we will be there and ready to encounter them!

Keep up the persistence Sir, You will be rewarded for your efforts!
    Thanx for the fish report with pic's.

SP Dan <"))><

Well, what is important is that you went out there and gave it your best!

Sometimes, it is all about the right place at the right time. The area that you describe seems fishy especially with the jetty nearby. As to your decision to stay put or move to a different AO, that is up to you. Personally, I fished the same general AO for about one year for the sole purposes of learning to surf fish and reading structure. On many occassions, I got skunked. Then, for about a 7 month stretch, I caught something on just about EVERY trip. Finally, I landed my first halibut, then my first legal, then my second, then my third and so forth. Recently, I am on a skunk stretch. My words of advice are to make each and every trip meaningful and if you are not happy doing what you are doing, then it is time to rethink. Seems as though you are still happily putting in your time, so keep at it!

Remember, it is not about IF you will be rewarded, it's just WHEN you will be rewarded. Tight lines!

Thumbs up

You gave it a good effort, nice job and keep at it!

Thanks fellas! Im definitely gonna keep at it!!! I havent been able to go as much as Id like because of automobile concerns, but I think Ill be going a bit more in the coming weeks.

By the way, guys. Im looking for a dedicated Lucky Craft rod, so I can throw Flash Minnows, and maybe some of the deeper diving baits when im on the jetties or in my tube in a harbor. Ive got a 8 foot Casting, 8-25lb Phenix Inshore Series rod, but it feels a bit too stiff for treble hook baits. Can you guys throw a couple of recommendations out there for me? Spinning rods? Blanks? Im looking at an MHX Light Saltwater Spinning 7'6" white blank, rated for 10-17 Lb line, to be paired with a Shimano Sahara 2500FD. What do you think?

The LC arsenal is growing in anticipation of this spring and summer.

Anyway. Thanks again!!!
    Last edited by FishinElectrician; 02-28-2013 at 02:42 PM.

Eye candy!!! Those LC,s are

Makes me want to hit BIG FISH TACKLE and get a couple

for 17,oo Till then just might throw the rapalas !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast