Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: Rpt-02-23-13 Local Bass and Critters!

Default Rpt-02-23-13 Local Bass and Critters!

Fishing Sat. 2-23-13, with John on his confortable 25’Parker, the “Horndog”. We launched out of Cabrillo’s in San Pedro at 5:45 am, our beginning destination being the Palos Verdes Coast.

We coasted up to the area we wanted to fish. Water Temperatures were only 53.8 degrees, not good? The meter marks along the usual area we fish were limited. The seas were grease calm and we elected to do a drift on a few marks that looked fishy. On our first drift we were both bit instantly. I released a decent sized Calico Bass and John released a Gopher Cod. A minute later I catch another Calico Bass, this is a bigger model:

John pulled in another Gopher Cod. We had some nice current and marginal wind of about 2 knots. The meter remained barren for the next 5 minutes, so John set us back up on the few marks we could find. I caught a couple more Calico Bass and John caught a Copper Rockfish and a nice Sculpin.

I got ***** slapped on my next bite, I hooked a big fish on my 12 pound outfit, got about ten feet on my wind in with huge head shakes, and then the big fish said, I don’t want any part of this, my drag started screaming out, and then pop, it was gone! I reeled in 3 feet of shredded line.

Our decent current died, it was slack tide, and this is when everything seemed to go screwy. No matter what we did to set up on meter marks, our direction changed every time. North, or South, or East and maybe West. Sometimes we simply spinned the boat in a 180 degree direction, going almost nowhere?

The bite became a strenuous effort to get a bite. The number of short bites between us was numerous to say the least? We caught a Red, a Johnny Bass, a Copper Rockfish, Sculpin and more Gopher Cod. What happened to the Bass? One of the four Sculpin we caught:

As the morning progressed we found more encouraging marks and a more favorable current and drift direction. John got on the Bass board with back to back Calico Bass. I added a few more Calico Bass to the count and a Sand Bass, one of only two we caught today.

I added a decent sized Sculpin to the count and one of the half dozen Reds we caught:

On our next drift John got whacked hard, and I watched him reel in a big fish that had huge head shakes, a gigantic bend in his rod and within maybe 15 feet of the surface it shook the hook. Darn?

The wind came in with a vengeance at high noon, within minutes it went from 6 to 15 knots. We were drifting at .8 to .9 knots and unable to hold bottom with even 2 oz. lead heads.

The weather throughout the morning was sensational. It just couldn’t last. We released all of our fish to fight another day. We ended the day with 8 Calico Bass, 2 Sand Bass, Five Reds, four Sculpin, four Coppers, ten Gopher Cod and a few Johnny Bass.

We called it a day at 1:00pm. Thanks so much for the invite John, can’t wait for our next adventure together.

Hook up! Cory

Nice results,nice to see the variety and nice weather in those pics,do you think those big bites were BSBs? Again I hate when that happens,at least they could let you eyeball them before they get off! Oh we'll I guess it adds to anticipation for the next trip,thanks.

Cya TunaVic

Default Hi Vic

Quote Originally Posted by TUNAVIC View Post
    Nice results,nice to see the variety and nice weather in those pics,do you think those big bites were BSBs? Again I hate when that happens,at least they could let you eyeball them before they get off! Oh we'll I guess it adds to anticipation for the next trip,thanks.

Cya TunaVic
    Mine could of been, although I rarely gett to pull a black up ten feet before being rocked? John's was certainly a big Bass, most likely a big Sandy!