Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Guide trip tues silverwood striper and trout slay

Wow, what a great day on the water that must have been. Slayed the jailbirds and some sweet full tail trout! Great job taking care of your client Bob! Very impressive.

John wants two species, Unreal Bob ! Four holdover full tail trout and nine really nice Stripers with a toad thrown in. Just like 5150fishn said, " Very impressive " Nice work !

TO you da man.

You sure can sniff out those fish T.O. . Are you part Blood Hound ? You guys did great ! I will be definitely booking a
    DVL trip with you for my Son and Myself this Spring when everything starts moving again . Do you ever troll or drift with Flies?
    I need some technique tweaks for Fly line Stripers if U think that's viable on DVL &SKINNER my primary fishing grounds . I have had success doing it on rivers but have not applied it seriously on lakes .
    I troll u - rigs and everything else would like to learn more about fishing swimbaits also . I am hearing your the go to man .

Stalker of Fish:

STORY BEHIND THE WHITE FLY: Josh Krause at Last Chance Bait and Tackle in Hemet will tell you that he first started hearing about anglers using “the little white fly” earlier this year. No one knew where to get them, all they knew is that they were watching a couple of regulars with fly rods casting and trolling these white flies and just hammering the stripers at the lake. Pretty soon, they were making their own versions or ordering streamers from fly-fishing catalogs and trying them. Krause said he was seeing a wide variety of white flies being fished by anglers trying to emulate the fly-anglers’ success.
    “Most of the people still don’t want to say anything about it, but they are really working,” said Krause.
    Bob Slamal of Riverside was the fly-angler who started the craze. Slamal’s name is familiar to old-timers in the area. He owned and ran Riverside Ski and Sport for years before closing the store and retiring in 2009. An avid fly-angler and part-time guide, Slamal came up with the pattern for fishing stripers at Lake Skinner, but found the fly worked where ever gamefish ate shad or similar-looking baitfish. It’s not a complicated pattern and Slamal had them made to his specs in three primary sizes -- four-inches long to represent bigger shad, three-inches long, and a small 2 1/2-inch version.
    “They saw what I was doing for five months out there, and I guess they were paying attention,” said Slamal. “Now a lot of the guys have their own flies they’re making themselves.”
    It’s kind of hard not to notice when a couple of guys in a boat with long fly rods are hooked up all the time. Slamal said their average day was 15 to 30 fish and his best day was 45 fish from noon to 5:30 p.m. for two anglers. The stripers ranged from three to 12 pounds, all caught trolling or casting “my little white fly” and bringing it through schools of stripers in 15 to 25 feet of water.
    Slamal said the white fly has accounted for more than just stripers at Diamond Valley. His fishing buddy Al Thorson of Temecula landed a 29 1/2-inch, 9 3/4-pound holdover rainbow this year in the middle of a wide open striper bite. Slamal landed a three-pound crappie in July. He’s caught largemouth, smallmouth and catfish on the fly. It just works, and now everyone wants what works.
    So not only is a new lake record probably just around the corner at Diamond Valley, it’s not too far fetched to think it just might be caught on a little white fly.

I will see you in the morning dave,,,,,,,,,,,the blood will flow,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

T.O. No acknowledgment of my questions ? If I have somehow offended you a simple shut up ***** would
    suffice but to be ignored ? Was it the Blood Hound comment ? Because they are one of my favorite dogs
    or was it I should of asked my questions in a P.M. ? Hell I don't Know I am kinda new here I don't know what I can ask and what I cant and who will answer my questions and who won't .

Devoreflyer
    I first witnessed the magic of the little white fly in 1998 . There was a guy at SKinner lake who fished from his River Drift boat which caught my eyes the first time I saw his boat . I love river fishing and that style of boat is not often seen by me in Southern California . A friend of mine told me one day he was a local guide when I pointed him out and asked who he was
    because I would see him several times each week even all week sometimes . I was going through a bunch of surgeries on both legs for about two years and he was one of the few people who was at the lake almost as often as i was .
    Lake Skinner was my self prescribed physical therapy then!

I would bait and wait and watch this guy a lot because he caught a lot of fish consistently . There were a lot of guys
    who did the same but they did it in the mornings and evenings chasing the tremendous boils of shad that occurred back then tossing jiggs or big surface lures to get there 15 fish limits. What tripped me out about this gentleman was he did not run and gun all over the lake chasing those boils or the boats like everyone was. He never even really seemed to key in on lake structure. The dude would motor up wind as far as he could then align himself for the longest slow drift he could set up and do it over and over again changing his line across the lake occasionally to hit new areas
    Another thing I noticed was he was catching fish all day long most of the time and averaged larger fish then what others I saw or knew were catching. He had his slow days like we all do and some skunks at times but not often . I liked that he caught his fish all day long and his fun was spread out across the day .

I observed over time that the guy never used anything but a fly Rod and he did not beat the water with it either . This guy
    was a study of economy of motion from his boat handling to his rod handling he was smooth I tell ya!
    After a couple of months, I had enough of watching it was time for asking . So I cruised up to him with my electric motor
    and I say hello and introduce myself . I tell him how I was amazed at his all day Striper prowess when I was only consistent morning and evening . He says hello and kinda smiles so I see my opening and say I would like to catch fish the way you do how is it done ? He picked up his rod showing me as he said " the little white fly"
    He starts up his motor and before he motors off he says and lose the bait rods !
    It was Spring of 1999 when I had this very brief conversation .
    I have had pretty good luck with Striper Flies white or not since but I often at times think there is/was something more to it.
    It's that I am still seeking .
    Last edited by Stalker Of Fish; 02-14-2013 at 01:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    He's throwing everybody off, looks like Castaic to me.
    Nice try seal. lmao

Nice day of fishing at the "wood". Another happy customer! T/O is obviously one of the 10%. I hate being one of the 90%. lol But I am not greedy. :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast