Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Magnone View Post
    holy crap. i just wanted to let you guys know that the bite aint too shabby.
    I know really 6k in veiws, lol , the guys with there hair in pony tails know their shyte lol.. nature is a beautiful thing and is perfect..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
    I did not mean to dismiss your opinion...I was simply defending Dark Shadow's opinion of how the numbers of large stripers at dvl has dwindled, expanded on my beliefs concerning why, and his use of mathematical functions.

I agree with you on many points. I would support a slot limit of stripers at DVL...Right Now. Lack of genetic variation does play a role... just not so much at DVL as it might in the small water of water you mentioned. Surely you must understand that the smaller a population is, the greater the impact on the genetic variation when when the conditions change. Its called Genetic Drift. Comparing (n) of largemouth in your small pond to that of DVL is comparing apples to oranges man. If you disagree with that, I don't know what to say...

However, I would disagree with you on other points. If you knew who I was or what I do or the research I have conducted, among other things, you would not call me a "self proclaimed expert" I am well versed in the subject we are discussing but I never said I was an expert. Biology is a big part of my job, both my day job and as a consultant. Further, I would say that the striper population in DVL has exceeded carrying capacity RIGHT NOW. Although I have no direct data to substantiate that. It is just my opinion as a biologist, fisherman, and observer of circumstantial data over the past 5 years or so. Further still, a die off will happen naturally. Populations that rise above carrying capacity due to a period of favorable conditions are automatically brought back into balance by nature. I believe we are seeing that now. A slot limit would simply speed up the process. No need to create die off. It is natures way of bringing a population back into balance with the other populations within the ecosystem. So I would disagree with you in that point as well...So truly, I did not mean to insinuate that you were ignorant...UNTIL you mentioned poisoning....Really? Poison DVL if (n) for stripers is above (k)? REALLY???? Thats where you lost me. I nearly peed myself when I read that.

I also liked Hawgs post...I do believe that incoming organisms into the lake present variables that are difficult to measure.
    :-)
    I did not mean to suggest or propose a poisoning or " lake treatment " as DFG has called it when done in the past .
    It was comment made in jest because it seemed like some want the Stripers gone like yesterday. I love the Stripers and would be against any measures to create a die off .
    I also wrote because DVL is a drinking water storage reservoir that it would not be easily considered or utilized as an abatement method.
    Not to mention the collateral damage to the whole bio system there . I know elector-shocking is done as an alternative as is eliminating the problem fish catch limits . Maybe even seine netting?

When I mentioned the lack of bio diversity I was just throwing that out as a cause for stunted fish I did not mean it was the case there . I realize
    there is no genetic bottleneck occurring .

I do agree nature will correct it self but only when allowed to do so.
    If people continue the mass harvesting of large fish can this happen
    with the limits for fish as they are set now? With water treatments that affect forage and game fish fry ? Water level changes ?
    There are so many factors Nature is not in control of. It makes me
    wonder when humans intervene in natural processes if a system can truly right itself.

Stormcrow I have read AND ENJOYED many of your post I recognized you know your stuff . I just took offense to the comment about me making Kwin grey haired and old . I was in a bad motorcyle accident
    so my writting skills and intended thoughts suffer at times . I am new on computer boards and will make many mistakes .
    Last edited by Stalker Of Fish; 02-09-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalker Of Fish View Post
    I did not mean to suggest or propose a poisoning or " lake treatment " as DFG has called it when done in the past .
    It was comment made in jest because it seemed like some want the Stripers gone like yesterday. I love the Stripers and would be against any measures to create a die off .
    I also wrote because DVL is a drinking water storage reservoir that it would not be easily considered or utilized as an abatement method.
    Not to mention the collateral damage to the whole bio system there . I know elector-shocking is done as an alternative as is eliminating the problem fish catch limits . Maybe even seine netting?

When I mentioned the lack of bio diversity I was just throwing that out as a cause for stunted fish I did not mean it was the case there . I realize
    there is no genetic bottleneck occurring .

I do agree nature will correct it self but only when allowed to do so.
    If people continue the mass harvesting of large fish can this happen
    with the limits for fish as they are set now? With water treatments that affect forage and game fish fry ? Water level changes ?
    There are so many factors Nature is not in control of. It makes me
    wonder when humans intervene in natural processes if a system can truly right itself.

Stormcrow I have read AND ENJOYED many of your post I recognized you know your stuff . I just took offense to the comment about me making Kwin grey haired and old . I was in a bad motorcyle accident
    so my writting skills and intended thoughts suffer at times . I am new on computer boards and will make many mistakes .
    No worries man...I read my own posts and I think I am a jerk at times. I dont know what happened to me to make me write in such a condescending fashion. Im working on that. :-)

No worries here either bro keep the great post coming and the reality checks .

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567