Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Barry Bonds Trout" *******

Default "Barry Bonds Trout" *******

A co-worker fwd me some links after he was curious on how the trout are so big and he raised an interesting question. He asked me do I think Barry Bonds should be in the HOF and I was like no, he asked why and I said well he juiced so the records shouldnt count. I was then asked to read the following articles and was asked so if a fish is genetically modified or juiced then should that count as a huge catch? I said I guess so but when asked if someone caught a "State Record" Trout or a IFGA record LMB and it was modified should that count and I said NO, Im curious what you guys think?

http://www.voanews.com/content/genet...49/118967.html

http://www.uri.edu/news/releases/?id=5243

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...d-modified-gm/

http://news.cnet.com/Are-scientists-...3-5808900.html

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1299107/

http://www.valleyjournal.net/Article...0-albino-trout
    Last edited by Prowler_Tuber; 01-28-2013 at 12:19 PM.

No way should a triploid rainbow be considered an IGFA record! I thought a while back they were going to have a different class for those "types" of fish but a quick Google failed me.

Just not fair somebody could catch a 10lbs holdover from the Sierra's and have 10x's the fight (at least) than these altered lazy overweight hatchery creations!

Quote Originally Posted by seal View Post
    No way should a triploid rainbow be considered an IGFA record! I thought a while back they were going to have a different class for those "types" of fish but a quick Google failed me.

Just not fair somebody could catch a 10lbs holdover from the Sierra's and have 10x's the fight (at least) than these altered lazy overweight hatchery creations!

I agree that the fight might be better from a nice holdover, but all we are talking about is Hatchery fish, even in the Sierra's, unless your backpacking into a remote location. Just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
    I agree that the fight might be better from a nice holdover, but all we are talking about is Hatchery fish, even in the Sierra's, unless your backpacking into a remote location. Just saying.
    That may be true in some cases, maybe even most but not all. For instance a lake like Silverwood or Big Bear, while they do get fish stockings also have a breeding population of fish in the lake. The question it brings up is, if a stocked fish even if it is a holdover spawns, are the offspring produced, native, holdover, or still considered stockers? Since it was born in the lake, I'd consider it native to that lake even though technically that species was not native to the lake or area.

Is it easier to say that anything that is genetically modified (which I believe triploids are, since they essentially remove the sexing chromosome in order for the fish's effort to be left on growing instead of reproducing), doesn't count?

Quote Originally Posted by Poxy Boggards View Post
    I mentioned triploid's specifically. I doubt you are going to see a stocker that is not a triploid aproach the current IFGA record it would take too long to raise and would be too expensive, just my belief. So if you stock a 10 lbs. non triploid fish and it grows to record size than yes that should be a record but a triploid NO WAY!

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post

Thats the same as raising it in a tank I think, DAMN 48 pounds and a full tail must have used some serious line

I remember reading about these guys. These were triploids, yes. But they had been living in the wild for 9 years. In an area that was absolutely perfect for them to grow. Right water temps, extremely rich food supply. So these brothers figured it out and started hunting these fish and landed a record. I say it counts. Its not like they pulled it from an aquarium and netted it or something.
    Triploids do exist in nature without man's interference, they are just extremely rare. So are triploid's from Mt Lassen a genetically altered fish? No - they are "normal" rainbow trout eggs that have been exposed to very precise water temps and such and different stages of development. Nothing was done to their DNA, which is what "genetically modified" implies.

The only difference between a farm raised triploid and a "wild" triploid of say, 20 lbs, is that a farm raised one has not had to contend with natural predators, competition for food, etc... that a wild one has. So farm raised ones will tend to be "stupid" from a survival perspective and easier to catch. A "wild" triploid would be very rare as they are exposed to all kinds of hazards, as well as angler's baits! Thus, they would tend to be "smarter" fish and much much harder to catch.

In the case above, a whole mess of triploids were released due to some accident. Only those that survived for 9 years in the wild were the ones these guys caught. Yeah, 9 years to me would classify them as "wild trout" to me.

To me fishing is fishing. I've caught little tiny bluegill and a local lake, little tiny brookies in the sierra's, paylake rainbow trout, and much more, and it is all fishing.
    Everybody has a different agenda when fishing. I believe the more angler's out there regardless of their "agendas" the better for all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by DEVOREFLYER View Post
    Damn you! Yes I knew about these guys and those fish. Thanks for feeding the pay to fish masses a kernel of legitimacy to their arguments.

Of course this whole argument will change here soon I suppose cause California is supposed to start stocking triploids to avoid stocked trout from mating with genetically pure trout. I believe that is supposed to occur in Crowley this year but not sure if the DFW is ready for it yet. Once again if they stock a sub-catchable Coleman strain rainbow in Crowley that grows into a world record is that the same as catching a 2 day old Mt. Lassen uglyass, finless and fightless rainbow out of say SARL? I just don't think, there I think needs to be a seperate class so the pay to fish masses can chase their own "World Record".
    Last edited by seal; 01-28-2013 at 02:59 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast