Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfishing24/7 View Post
    I owned tubes & tried a yak....the yak was very uncomfortable,most important for me so tube i say!!
    Yes for a beginner it is easier to pick up fishing from an easy chair aka. float tube but once you get into kayaking they are very stable. Funny my friend borrowed my yak out at Willow and he said it was very tippy, he had never yak'd before and was over correcting I believe, I can't remember ever dumping a yak excpet in the ocean and launching thru waves.

If you are just starting out get a float tube. MUCH less hastle to transport, launch & fish from. I have both and have fished both for 10+ years BUT Float Tubing is much easier to do. My float tube fully loaded may weigh 10+ lbs. and fits in the back of my Mazda 3. My Kayak Without all the extras like Paddle, Bait Tank, Dolly, Fish Finder weighs 79 lbs. and is a ***** to transport even with my Honda Pilot. Also, if you are using it in the ocean and straping it to the roof a word of caution. Salt Water is murder on car paint. If allowed to sit overnight the water will etch your paint beyond repair. Not to mention trying to fish in windy conditions. You ever try and paddle with one hand and fish with the other? It is impossible UNLESS you have a Hobie with the Mirage drive! Kayakers will say that is what a drift sock is for. I say one more thing to buy, carry and try not to forget when you are packing all your stuff to go fishing. The only time I use my kayak now is if I am going well off shore like La Jolla or lobster hooping otherwise I use my float tube in the Salt all the time. You can fish in 2-3 ft of water in a float tube but you will start to kick up silt and sediment the more shallow you go. The first two choices sit high in the water and will allow for shallower conditions. The pontoon style tubes like the Navigator sit way too low for shallow water. I had one and it sat so low my elbows were constantly getting wet and the water was in my lap.

1st choice (Price & Valve Layout) ODC 420

2nd choice (Because it is close to ODC but costs more and BAD valve location) Outcast Fish Cat

Don't Buy (Sits too low, slow compaired to above, too many badders to fill (4), & Stupid cross bar) Navigator II or similar.
    Last edited by LBSea; 01-23-2013 at 01:05 PM.

After reading all the responces posted above I would go with the pontoon tube such as casting call has as an avatar. Lake mohave can become wild with the wind real fast. Also casting calls pontoon looks real comfortable and stable.

Quote Originally Posted by one long cast View Post
    After reading all the responces posted above I would go with the pontoon tube such as casting call has as an avatar. Lake mohave can become wild with the wind real fast. Also casting calls pontoon looks real comfortable and stable.
    Yeah, pontoons are pretty versitile. You can use fins, oars or strap a motor on it. It only has a draft of a few inches so you can navigate in water as ahallow as a foot, you can carry a ton of gear,its faster than a tube, cheaper than a yak and more stable and comfortable than either one. I have yet to see a toon capsize or roll over. You can also mod the toon to your needs and liking.
    These are the reasons I went with a toon over a tube or a yak, and am very happy with my decision.

freshwater, bait n wait drift and troll. I have a truck (is that what u were asking)? Bass, bluegill, striper, catfish, crappie and trout. Most of the time by my self but when the family comes i will be with fellow tubers. I will be using my tube up on lake mohave (28,260 acres of water.) and some back waters and maybe the river. I would build some pvc rod holders, and invest in a fish finder eventually

Quote Originally Posted by casting call View Post
    Yeah, pontoons are pretty versitile. You can use fins, oars or strap a motor on it. It only has a draft of a few inches so you can navigate in water as ahallow as a foot, you can carry a ton of gear,its faster than a tube, cheaper than a yak and more stable and comfortable than either one. I have yet to see a toon capsize or roll over. You can also mod the toon to your needs and liking.
    These are the reasons I went with a toon over a tube or a yak, and am very happy with my decision.
    which exact toon is the one in your avatar? can you paddle with fins in a toon?

I started with a tube and moved up to a yak. For me the yak is better because most of my fishing is trolling. I do wish that I hadn't sold my tube and kept it as a backup because sometimes I just want to chill and toss jigs and I found a tube better for me for this. My yak is a sit on top model and is very stable and I'm not a small guy.

Just my two cents here...I started with a pontoon which was pretty fun and comfortable. The downside was the time it took for assembly when I got to the lake. With that said I decided to move onto a kayak...WAY BETTER! You can just drop your yak into the water and you're good to go. Whether you choose a tube, pontoon or yak it will always require some sort of exercise from kicking your legs or paddling. What it comes down to is your budget, how much are you willing to spend? If you go tube, try to buy new one to avoid getting a used one that might leak. For a pontoon/yak you should start with used since you can find them cheap on Craigslist. Another question you have to ask yourself is...do you plan to fish freshwater or saltwater or both? If you go with a yak in saltwater, it has to be a sit-on-top (SOT). Good luck with whatever you decide and let's see some pics once you get it.

With your budget being forefront in my mind I would recomend a tube. Get a fishcat 4 or an ODC420, and you will be pretty much out of the water from the knees up. I disagree about buying a new one though unless you can find a killer deal. I got my fishcat 4 a pair of waders and a PVC rod holder for $140 bucks on here a few years ago. Go used and get a deal that will leave you some cash to rig up your ride.

Since the species you listed all seem to be fresh water, and you don't have a couple of grand to spend a tube is really your best bet to get on the water for a reasonable price.

Default Don't do itttttt

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    i just found a guy that has one of these http://www.basspro.com/White-River-F...duct/10200385/ and he said he only used it twice. He told me to make him an offer, what should i say (he is suposed to post a youtube video show casing it for me)
    Everyone here has given you plenty advise and trust me that float tube you might put a price on is no good for your height and weight. Go on eBay and get yourself the odc420. I'm about the same size and weight as you are and trust me this is the tube your lookin for!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast