Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

ya good point

There's a reason there are way more tubes on each lake than kayaks.....

Get a 'toon!

I think answers to a few questions would make this an easier decision. Fresh or salt? Bait and wait, drift, or troll?? Type of vehicle used to go fishing? What type of fish are you targeting? What type of vessels do those around u have (always fun to fish in a group)? How often will this be utilized? What lakes (if fresh) do you plan to target? If you got a yak, where would u store it? If u got a tube, or yak for that matter, what extras would u need? Just a few questions that should narrow your choice.
    Last edited by Cadillyak; 01-23-2013 at 03:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishermanx14 View Post
    i was just messing around on bass pro shops....im sure i can find stuff for alot cheaper. Do you have to register it as a boat ? How stable are they? When i was about 12 i was in the middle of big bear and flipped my cousins kayak and it scared the crap outta me.Which is better a sit-on-top or the ones where you sit inside?
    Fisher, you don't need to register your yak, one of the reasons I went with kayak versus boat. My 10 footers goes in the back of my truck with a red flag and that's it. Easy on and off from my truck. I don't need to mess with straps, DMV or any non-sense. I'm not a tuber but I don't need to sit at home the night before pumping or blowing the inner tube up. I like messing with the tube guys

As for stable, on some models, you can stand. Like the Wilderness System Ride and some Hobies. But you need some $$ for those models. My 10 footer is as stable as they come. Even when a boat flies right be me, no problems with the waves. By the way, the boat guys think they own the lake so they have zero respect for yakers or tubers.

As for SINKs or SOT, I went with SOT because they are safer, more stable, you sit above the water and if you flip, easy to get back on. A SINK guy can tell you the same, so it's up to you what to pick. Even a tube guy can tell you that the tubes are stable, safe and worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did
    We are working out our arms Troutsniffer.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    There's a reason there are way more tubes on each lake than kayaks.....
    $50 versus $500

Quote Originally Posted by Simply_P View Post
    I think answers to a few questions would make this an easier decision. Fresh or salt? Bait and wait, drift, or troll?? Type of vehicle used to go fishing? What type of fish are you targeting? What type of vessels do those around u have (always fun to fish in a group)? How often will this be utilized? What lakes (if fresh) do you plan to target? If you got a yak, where would u store it? If u got a tube, or yak for that matter, what extras would u need? Just a few questions that should narrow your choice.
    I'm having fun with this thread but this statement is so true. You need to find the vessel that fits you. The tube or kayak will do the same thing; get you off the shore and get you closer to the fish in the shallows, docks, trees or anywhere on the lake. You need to find the boat that meets your criteria and go for it. The most important thing to remember, go fishing and have a great time. I just do with more class on a yak.

I owned tubes & tried a yak....the yak was very uncomfortable,most important for me so tube i say!!

I have both. You really need to identify like others have said the waters you are planning on fishing and what type of fishing you will be doing. Fly fishing is much easier from a float tube but if big water is where you want to fish then you need the kayak to get there. I personally love both but make my decision about which one to take out dependent on the bite and the water I'm going to be fishing.

If you decide on a yak or a tube your price point of spending 200 or so on it is very low even with a bottom of the line tube and yes you can possibly find a kayak in that range on Craigs list or just get lucky somewhere but once again there are other items needed, a good paddle, pfd, rack if you don't have a big truck etc... I bought all my yak stuff prior to actually buying the yak.

Make a decision but if 200 bucks is all you got I'd say buy a tube and then purchase the other stuff after the fact, at your weight and height you will be disapointed if you purchase the tube you listed.

Ok just reviewed your post. I float tube Lake Mead often but I've been float tubing a long time, if you are a beginner and you are talking about Mohave I don't know man that is one big old body of water! Think a kayak might be a better idea if that's going to be your main body of water, also that will open up Willow beach to you if you decide to start targeting the big stripers, although I'm going to tube Willow in a couple weeks so it is possible.
    Last edited by seal; 01-23-2013 at 09:32 AM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast