Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

Default The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

Hey guys i was thinking about getting into the whole tube/yak thing. I want it to be able to float around on lake mohave but i also want to be able to get into the sometimes shallow backwaters for some big crappie and gills. Is shallow water a problem with float tubes? Also i am a pretty big guy (6'3 245) and i don't plan on getting very wet above the waist hahah

Thanks,
    Christian

Whats your budget?

i would say 200 mabey 230, and i have seen a couple used yaks and tubes in my local paper

200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...

Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool.
    But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
    What yaks were you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Caliyak View Post
    Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool.
    But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
    What yaks were you looking at?
    i was just messing around on bass pro shops....im sure i can find stuff for alot cheaper. Do you have to register it as a boat ? How stable are they? When i was about 12 i was in the middle of big bear and flipped my cousins kayak and it scared the crap outta me.Which is better a sit-on-top or the ones where you sit inside?

Quote Originally Posted by .:LOLLY:. View Post
    200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...
    cool thanks man

yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did
    http://www.basspro.com/Caddis-Sports...duct/10205419/ i just found two of these for $50 in my local craigslist, worth it?

They're decent for a first time tube but you'll be about belly button deep in the water. Another thing is that they only have one air bladder so if it fails you will be S.O.L.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast