Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle 

Thread: The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The big decision....... float tube or kyak?

Hey guys i was thinking about getting into the whole tube/yak thing. I want it to be able to float around on lake mohave but i also want to be able to get into the sometimes shallow backwaters for some big crappie and gills. Is shallow water a problem with float tubes? Also i am a pretty big guy (6'3 245) and i don't plan on getting very wet above the waist hahah

Thanks,
    Christian

Whats your budget?

i would say 200 mabey 230, and i have seen a couple used yaks and tubes in my local paper

200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...

Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool.
    But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
    What yaks were you looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by Caliyak View Post
    Fisherman, I am a huge kayak guy. I would suggest a yak. I'm about your size and I have a Wilderness System 100. I use it for the same reasons, go way back in the shallows where boats can't go. I love my yak cuz I can turn on a dime and stay dry. Also, a yak is faster than a tube so if you want to cover a lot of water, yak. Of course, this is a yak, getting wet is obvious when launching, getting off, feet hanging off the side and the occasional swan drive to stay cool.
    But seriously, a yak is dry from knees up. If you launch from a dock, completely dry. But, you need to try a yak and a tube. You need to find the right fit for you and your fishing style.
    What yaks were you looking at?
    i was just messing around on bass pro shops....im sure i can find stuff for alot cheaper. Do you have to register it as a boat ? How stable are they? When i was about 12 i was in the middle of big bear and flipped my cousins kayak and it scared the crap outta me.Which is better a sit-on-top or the ones where you sit inside?

Quote Originally Posted by .:LOLLY:. View Post
    200-230 for just the tube or full setup (waders, fins, life jacket, etc.)?

The cumberland float tube is under 200 and has a weight capacity of 350lbs. You sit high and dry, water level is right under the knee...
    cool thanks man

yaks spend 75% of the time paddle-ling back and fourth every time I see them fish. Get a float tube and you'll be happy you did