Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pyramid Bait & Wait 1/20/13

Default Pyramid Bait & Wait 1/20/13

With some tips on what works for us...

Located some fresh sardines from In-seine Bait Co in MDR the day before. Got lucky considering these were the first load of dines since November! It seems that there is a lack of fin bait in SM Bay (but lots of squid)
    Good frozen bait works also, depends on the bite.

Haven't been to the lake since July of 2011

Tips:
    Scouted around the spots that I've had success in the past looking for suspended meter marks.
    If I see good signs of life in the area, I will anchor up and get the lines in the water.
    The stripers will find you if you have enough scent in the water.
    Use the maximum amount of rods that the law allows (more scent in the water)
    I carolina rig with 6# line, 18-24" leader with #1 or #2 Owner Mosquito hook and 1/8-1/2oz egg sinkers with 1/4oz most common. More weight if you are getting a lot of boat swing while on anchor.
    Today while anchored in deep water, we had the baits suspended at 30-50' straight up and down.
    A good way to judge depth is to cast out and estimate the distance, put the reel in gear then let the line swing back to the boat.
    Sometimes, I'll use a sharpie and mark my line at the depth that I'm getting bit at and watch for the mark when adjusting the line.

I always keep an eye on the meter for the stripers that swim under the boat.
    They swim in schools and you'll know when they are around.

Give it some time before moving (It took an hour before getting our first bite)

Change your bait when the guts fall out of the stomach cavity (use the part of the sardine or anchovy that has the guts)

If you are serious about anchoring at this lake, you'll want a 300'+ anchor line with the proper amount of chain to hold bottom

On to the report:
    The striper fishing was good!
    3 guys
    1 use to be a striper vigin
    Fish size ranged from 12"-20" for us
    Caught 30+, kept 23
    Lake facilities are looking great
    Little bummed out that the fish cleaning station was closed, but it looks to be on the mend (new pipes)

My buddy spotted this very large bird cruising the hill sides, thought it could be a Golden Eagle
    Any bird experts out there?

***** Bait status for In-Seine Bait Company In Marina del rey *****
    They seem to be keeping it current
    https://www.facebook.com/InSeineBaitFishingCompany
    Last edited by IN2DEEP; 01-23-2013 at 06:11 PM.

amazing pics and catches! congrats

WAY TO WACK THEM SCOTT, THATS A GOLDEN EAGLE,HOW DEEP DID YOU HAVE TO ANCHOR FOR THE GOOD BITE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

Very detailed report Scott.. excellence as always...

Bait bite is clicking way over the troll for sure

Nice catch Scott.

They've been pretty good lately at the Mid. One day we catch all small ones then a week later we catch all different sizes.

WTG In2deep!

Yep,,,,,,,,The mid ROCKS no doubt!

rou guys rock,d them stripees,,,,,,,,,,,,,bait n deep puts,m on the boat all winter long up there,,,not for me but still the best way to stack,m right now for sure,,,GREAT JOB bud!

TRAIL BLAZER

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    WTG In2deep!

rou guys rock,d them stripees,,,,,,,,,,,,,bait n deep puts,m on the boat all winter long up there,,,not for me but still the best way to stack,m right now for sure,,,GREAT JOB bud!

TRAIL BLAZER
    I can attest to this..

Scott and I were on an almost Wide Open bait bite with limits in a couple hours time.... And still wasn't enough to satisfy that attention span.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    I can attest to this..

Scott and I were on an almost Wide Open bait bite with limits in a couple hours time.... And still wasn't enough to satisfy that attention span.
    LOL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by TroutOnly View Post
    WAY TO WACK THEM SCOTT, THATS A GOLDEN EAGLE,HOW DEEP DID YOU HAVE TO ANCHOR FOR THE GOOD BITE,,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,
    Bob, thank you for the bird ID. My buddy will be pleased since that is his first sighting of one and we have a photo of it!
    Very deep water. You know the spot

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    Very detailed report Scott.. excellence as always...

Bait bite is clicking way over the troll for sure
    Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by fishinone View Post
    Nice catch Scott.

They've been pretty good lately at the Mid. One day we catch all small ones then a week later we catch all different sizes.
    Ron, Good to know about the sizes. I'm glad we were there on the "different size" day lol

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    WTG In2deep!

TRAIL BLAZER
    Thanks! If I had confidence to get the stripers by trolling, I would attempt if more often
    Those stripers just can't resist the blood

Quote Originally Posted by flyhigh123 View Post
    amazing pics and catches! congrats
    Thanks!
    BTW, they opened the gates at 7am

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast