Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing below Morris Dam?

Default Fishing below Morris Dam?

Hello there everyone. To those who have read up to here I hope you are having a good day. If anyone knows the answer to this please chime in and explain.

I was wondering if it is legal to fish below Morris Dam. More specifically I was wondering if one could fish across from Encanto Park.

Thank you all.

-IF2L

Quote Originally Posted by Ifishtoolittle View Post
    Hello there everyone. To those who have read up to here I hope you are having a good day. If anyone knows the answer to this please chime in and explain.

I was wondering if it is legal to fish below Morris Dam. More specifically I was wondering if one could fish across from Encanto Park.

Thank you all.

-IF2L
    No fishing there, but I fished it in my younger yrs caught a lot of carp

Here's the deal on that place. That section of the San Gabriel River below the dam is open to fishing. The cliffs and land around Encanto however are no trespassing, making access to the river impossible. But, if you hike in down the dirt road, you'll come to a valley first and see some nice pools. This whole valley is owned by a religious commune/temple and is no trespassing as well, so I'd advise to keep on walking. Eventually, you will have access to some nice pools of water, and then the road turns to a trail and ends after a couple of miles. I've fished all the pools and only caught 1 tiny LMB despite how fishy it looks. I did see a dead trout and heard stories of smallies, but I have no proof of that. Go and have fun exploring and let us know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyP View Post
    Here's the deal on that place. That section of the San Gabriel River below the dam is open to fishing. The cliffs and land around Encanto however are no trespassing, making access to the river impossible. But, if you hike in down the dirt road, you'll come to a valley first and see some nice pools. This whole valley is owned by a religious commune/temple and is no trespassing as well, so I'd advise to keep on walking. Eventually, you will have access to some nice pools of water, and then the road turns to a trail and ends after a couple of miles. I've fished all the pools and only caught 1 tiny LMB despite how fishy it looks. I did see a dead trout and heard stories of smallies, but I have no proof of that. Go and have fun exploring and let us know how you do.
    Thanks ScottyP.

Now this trail, is it before the biking bridge? Or is it before Huntington?

I may go there tomorrow or Tuesday. Are there common sightings of Coyotes or Mt. Lions around that area?
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 01-13-2013 at 08:05 PM.

5. Default

Scottyp, thanks for the info. We explored the canyon yesterday using your info. You were deadon about the nice pools, they look great! Here's the report link.

. This whole valley is owned by a religious commune/temple and is no trespassing as well, so I'd advise to keep on walking.
    Got $4.5 Million? That land could be yours:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Azusa/9447-.../home/21656900

Rock hopping along that river is pretty darn fun!

Man my legs were sore after that little exploratory trip.

Glad you guys had fun. It's a beautiful area, and I've never seen anyone else fishing there.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by shinbob View Post
    Got $4.5 Million? That land could be yours:

http://www.redfin.com/CA/Azusa/9447-.../home/21656900
    There's a few photos of the inner grounds on Flickr. Pretty surreal.

North-East L.A. / West San Gabriel Valley

I was there about half a year ago.... There where a few pools but they were drying up quickly... I saw several carp up to 2' in length, a 1 inch LMB and a 1.5' Catfish! it appeared to be a blue cat... Unfortunately, this section of the river doesn't seem to have permanent water and I think the fish did not survive. The fish must have washed out of the reservoir. Directly below the reservoir there is a huge pool that seems permanent, but looks inaccessible/illegal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast