Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1-3 Giant Squid skunkfest on Western Pride Davey's landing

Quote Originally Posted by cklovetofish View Post
    You are right. $51 for license, $25 ticket, 2 squid jigs @ $9 a piece, 2 sinker $4 a piece. That's over $100. $2 a sack, $1 per squid cleaning. If you limit out, total is $140. Plus food/drink $10~$20 a person. $150 per person is not out of the norm.
    I believe @ NewPort landing they require the squid to have the head and guts removed completely. I am not sure about the tenticles as they are the best part IMHO.
    For parking, any meter parking in New Port is free of charge after 6PM. So, after 6, just park at the little metered parking area between the two landings on Balboa Blvd. Late Fall to early Spring time, parking is not too hard to find. But Summer or holiday weekends!! Forget it. That's why I don't go to these landings as much as I used to.
    Yeah...it's expensive...Can't find the 2012 Receipt but my 2011 Licence totaled $64.97 with all the stamps...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1-4-2013 12-45-51 PM.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	38513

And that is why I will always spend the extra 15 minutes to drive down to Dana Wharf. 100x better than Newport/Davey and no BS.

70 people
    Bummer on the skunk.
    DR

Seems like this guy tossed over 1/2 away ?

I guess I am among hundreds of other AE have been waiting all night, all morning, and all evening today for fish count from NewPort and Daveys for squid count.
    That has not come and I guess they did not catch any tenticles.

cleaning on boat was done way faster than that esp if theres alot on boat.. 30 sec just slice and toss guts out n rinse (final cleaning to be done at home ). of course alot of guys want entire squids cut n clean head n cone etc which is fine as these are used in many ways.... just wanna make sure no one is felt like "bait and switch" technique was used by deckhands if cleaning procedures are not explained prior to boarding or during launch..... again assume that a new 1st time person catches 20 squid and he assumes hes gonna take all home just like a fish ... deck hand says " itll cost u $100 to clean or u cant take these" of couse the guys its gonna snap . lst yr the decks and captn didnt even announce cleaning fee of $3 each until we were on the way back! so if u had $20 in ur pocket u brought 6 back despite the # u caught!.. AGAIN IN ALL FAIRNESS the fees should be explained online, at the ticket counter and on deck b4 anything is caught. i doubt the fellow average fishmerman has extra $100 each in their pocket each time they go fish, esp if their teenagers kids wives 1st timers etc...

Finally, squid is here. New Port landing found it, not Daveys.
    http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....y2_qNliCE40%3D

Any AE out there went on this trip? Just to confirm.
    Last edited by cklovetofish; 01-07-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Awesome, I wanna go next week on the weekday if there's any outings available. By the way whats the setup to catch this squid? I was thinking about using 14 lb test line & 4 oz weight with the lures.

its a barbed but not sharpened squid jig 4-12in long $5-$20.. 30lb test recommended... followed by leader line about 1ft with a torpedo wt 2-8oz depending how deep they are.... u can go near wtless when they surface up as they will attack anything in the water.... arms grab onto jig and cnt free themselves.. when u deck thm grab wt and shake them off upside down... irons or traditional jigs not recommndd cuz theyll rip the flesh off and ok u risk have a flying jig whip back to u when u pull these aboard.... also cheap ponchos or waterproof rain suit can be usefull as its a showerfest of h20 and ink everywhere as they pull last ditch effort to get away.... GO GET THEM ! CATCH N KILL REGARDLESS IF URE KEEPING CUZ THEYLL EAT ANYTHING ALONG THEIR PATH AND FISHING WILL SUCK FOR AWHILE.....

Quote Originally Posted by BALLERONBUDGET View Post
    its a barbed but not sharpened squid jig 4-12in long $5-$20.. 30lb test recommended... followed by leader line about 1ft with a torpedo wt 2-8oz depending how deep they are.... u can go near wtless when they surface up as they will attack anything in the water.... arms grab onto jig and cnt free themselves.. when u deck thm grab wt and shake them off upside down... irons or traditional jigs not recommndd cuz theyll rip the flesh off and ok u risk have a flying jig whip back to u when u pull these aboard.... also cheap ponchos or waterproof rain suit can be usefull as its a showerfest of h20 and ink everywhere as they pull last ditch effort to get away.... GO GET THEM ! CATCH N KILL REGARDLESS IF URE KEEPING CUZ THEYLL EAT ANYTHING ALONG THEIR PATH AND FISHING WILL SUCK FOR AWHILE.....
    Thanks, if I need 30 lb test then I guess need to I rent a rod or borrow one.

Hi cklovetofish,

Well .... can't bring myself to actually target these things. Sounds like a good card game should have been started in the galley.

JapanRon

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123