Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Channel Islands Sportfishing  CCA-California  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: One last Rockfish trip on the Special 12/28/12

Default One last Rockfish trip on the Special 12/28/12

Gonna make this one a shortie since I'm a little tired and lazy.

Today we saw 30 some odd anglers today, yay!, aboard the Special all fired up to nail some tasty bottom critters. For some catching was to be had whereas for others they were fishing. As for myself I nailed some good ums'. And, here they are.

There's a fish story behind this. When I hooked this guy I honestly did not feel a bite until I began to reel up from 230' below. lol this guy fought all the way to the surface until it popped off! As I reeled in my line I saw my fish float up and a hoard of Pelicans charging in. The funny part was that the Red Snapper was too large for the birds to eat. The problem though was that I wasn't able to get my fish back until the captain pulled anchor. Thus, I watched my fish drift off for hundreds of yards as the birds hacked away at my fish. When I finally got it back the guts were all gone. lol

Hours later a Bank Perch became my lunch. mmmmm... I'm eating this as I type this report.

-IF2L
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 12-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

I hate when reds get away, especially when there's not a lot being caught. But some good eating fish there. Thanks for the report.

What was your cooking method this time?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpot Jimmy View Post
    I hate when reds get away, especially when there's not a lot being caught. But some good eating fish there. Thanks for the report.

What was your cooking method this time?
    Yeah. It was a bit heart breaking. Fortunately, the Red was too large for the Pelicans to get at it, but the downside was that it was ravaged by the gulls.

I did a quick pan fry, 5min ea side, with a thyme rub, some garlic salt, and some onions. Twas' rather tasty since the Bank Perch was kept really fresh throughout the day.
    Last edited by Ifishtoolittle; 12-28-2012 at 11:31 PM.

Hi Ifishtoolittle,

Good job on that last Rockfish trip of the year !!

Good luck this year all everything. As said in Japan Akemashete Omedeto Gozaimasu !!

JapanRon

Thanks JP! And a happy new year to you too!