Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: castic basic setup

Default castic basic setup

never been here before, but id certainly love to.
    Any advice to what the pound test line and riggs to use?
    ill be fishing from either the shore or a kayak

Quote Originally Posted by Got_fish? View Post
    never been here before, but id certainly love to.
    Any advice to what the pound test line and riggs to use?
    ill be fishing from either the shore or a kayak
    well, I've only fished from shore at Castaic so far... off of the dam at Upper lake... you can search my username for previous reports I put up for Castaic.

I basically use carolina rig with 1 oz weight to cast it out as far as I can using everything from nightcrawlers, bloodworms, cut anchovy/sardines, sometimes chicken liver, and even lugworms... hook size depending on size of bait... and I use 6 lb fluoro leader.

I usually just walk about 1/2 way across the dam and head down to the water and cast out pretty far and just wait

sometimes the stripers are there... most of the times they're not

hope some of this helps.

it helps a ton! thanks a lot!
    now with the carolina rig how do u retrieve it? slow or fast?

it helps a ton! thanks a lot!
    now with the carolina rig how do u retrieve it? slow or fast?
    This is just for bait and wait setup. No retrieving needed unless you're bringing your line in to change or check on your bait

It all depends on what lake you are looking to fish (upper or lower)
    Also what species are you gonna target (striper, LMB, SMB, catfish, or panfish)

unfortunaetly ive only visited the lagoon so i cant realy say which one between upper or lower..
    Im fairly new to this with very little experience, and i'd like to target LMB or Stripers. I'll be fishing either off my kayak or the shore. any suggestions?

unfortunaetly ive only visited the lagoon so i cant realy say which one between upper or lower..
    Im fairly new to this with very little experience, and i'd like to target LMB or Stripers. I'll be fishing either off my kayak or the shore. any suggestions?
    Well as for the lagoon (lower lake) it has been slow. Not really the best time to start for bass fishing. But 1/2oz football jigs with sweet beaver trailers have been working. Also sweet beavers or paddle tails on a texas rig have been picking them off for the LMB. Work deep ledges and grassy areas reallllllllllllllly slow. You can also throw some fat ika's as well. For shore fishing hit the point (2nd campground) really only one point on the fishing side. Can't really tell ya where to go from the kayak seeing as i've not taken my tube out much this year. I've been shore fishing at night 90% of the time this year. Your best bet is just put time on the water and talk to people who are out there. The more time you put in the better chance you'll have at figuring out the lake and what is working.

Your best bet is spring time, the bass are way more active and easier to get at since they come shallow to spawn. But as for now just keep trying and don't let a few skunked trips hurt your ego. Because trust me even guys like me who have fished the lagoon since the mid 90's have skunky trips from time to time.

From what i've been hearing the upper lake has been producing some numbers for both striper and lmb, but i believe it's been from the trollers. Don't have too much info on the upper since i have not been up there all year. I'm more of a lagoon guy. I <3 the lagoon, it's my home away from home.
    Last edited by Ray Lopez; 12-31-2012 at 09:27 PM.

i appreciate the help, it has been very informative and i plan on taking your advice
    have you ever tried swimbaits?

I've fished swimbaits here and there but i'm not a fan of throwing lures that cost over 30 bucks. After loosing a few that takes a pretty fat dent in the wallet. For Big Bass you don't need swimbaits. Try using smaller swimjigs like the river2sea bottom walkers, or the keitech easy shiner. Cost much less and you would kill your arm by tossing heavy baits all day.

RayLo knows what hes talkin bout, trust me....in less than a week time fishing there he had me hooked up to a 5+lb LMB.
    As for the jailbirds, bait & wait for a enjoyable day Or rise & shine early with swimbaits for a chance at a piggy..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast