Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  

Thread: 1st timer duct fishing. Help a newb out, Thanks

Default 1st timer duct fishing. Help a newb out, Thanks

Hello everyone,
    I fish the local lakes all the time for trout but I'm ready to try something new. I live in the Ontario area and I'm thinking of going to try it out
    between west of the 15fwy and sheep creek road, thinking this tuesday morning. Does anybody in here fish those areas that could give a duct newbie a bit of help! Any info
    would be very appreciated. What bitting right now and what lures, bait your using.

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I fish the local lakes all the time for trout but I'm ready to try something new. I live in the Ontario area and I'm thinking of going to try it out
    between west of the 15fwy and sheep creek road, thinking this tuesday morning. Does anybody in here fish those areas that could give a duct newbie a bit of help! Any info
    would be very appreciated. What bitting right now and what lures, bait your using.

Thank you
    the fishing is tough in the duct right now. for bait, ordinary chicken liver from the meat department ( not the flavored stuff from tackle shops) the chicken liver at Walmart is cheep and works great. For lures 3/4 and 1 ounce lip-less crankbaits like Rat-L-Traps or Fluke style baits on 1/2. 3/4 or 1 ounce shad style jig heads.

I don't fish in that area, but what works by me will work there too if and when you find the fish.

good luck.

lots of kitties out there, not much else. youre gonna wanna use bait out there. the last three times i hit the duct it was too mossy to fish effectively, just terrible conditions, it looked like a green soup. chuck out a fly lined chicken liver and walk with the flow, or bait n wait with your normal catfish baits, just as long as it's not that store bought catfish dough bait. find bends in the duct and try to get away from people. you are probably going to get skunked, and that is how the duct is on a good day, just being honest. really tough out there right now. put your time in and you will catch some fish, and it feels really good when you do pull a nice fish out of the concrete river.

good hunting!

I went out this morning for 5hrs and got to fish next to three bridges and no bites. I used night crawlers, anchovies, shrimp and threw out a few lures. I know I'll run into skunks but
    can't wait to land one from the duct.

Thanks so much for the replies fellas. Every piece off info helps out!

Quote Originally Posted by troutsniffer View Post
    I went out this morning for 5hrs and got to fish next to three bridges and no bites. I used night crawlers, anchovies, shrimp and threw out a few lures. I know I'll run into skunks but
    can't wait to land one from the duct.

Thanks so much for the replies fellas. Every piece off info helps out!

If you're going to bait & wait, you should have listened to Mike & Tubby.
    They told you what to use & how to use it. Why you used everything except what they said to use is a bit odd, but live & learn I guess.
    I'd stick with the lures though. It's getting a bit cold for the kitties & there has been a lot of large striper coming out of the duct lately.
    Note: ****** weather = striper weather
    Good luck out there
    LL

PS
    If you ask questions & are fortunate enough to have experienced people answer....take their advise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky Lager View Post
    If you're going to bait & wait, you should have listened to Mike & Tubby.
    They told you what to use & how to use it. Why you used everything except what they said to use is a bit odd, but live & learn I guess.
    I'd stick with the lures though. It's getting a bit cold for the kitties & there has been a lot of large striper coming out of the duct lately.
    Note: ****** weather = striper weather
    Good luck out there
    LL

PS
    If you ask questions & are fortunate enough to have experienced people answer....take their advise.
    I went out a day early (anxious). The bait I used I bought the previous night before there were any replies on here but I'll be using chix liver for sure next time I go in the next couple of days.
    I'll let you guys know how it goes