Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good day at Skinner...12/16/12

As long as no more than 3 hooks are used why would sabikis be illegal? You can just cut them in half. Still catch fish.

So who knows??? I called the skinner front booth, the store, and the marina, and no one who works at Skinner knows.
    I would guess the 3 hook sabiki is Ok. If someone really knows, please post...

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldlim View Post
    As long as no more than 3 hooks are used why would sabikis be illegal? You can just cut them in half. Still catch fish.
    I think it probably has something to do with the distinction between snagging and the shad taking the sabiki by mouth. Snagging is illegal, but I have had a guide who uses sabikis tell me that the shad actually take them by mouth. I have no personal experience either way.

4.05. Bait Fish Capture Methods.

• (a) Approved bait fish may be taken only by hand, with a dip net, or with traps not over three feet in greatest dimension. Such bait fish may not be purchased, bartered, sold, transferred or traded; or transported alive from the location where taken. Any other species taken shall be returned to the water immediately. Traps need not be closely attended. Dip net use: A dip net must be hand held, and the motion of a dip net shall be caused only by the physical effort of the operator. A dip net may not be moved through the water by any mechanical force or motorized device.

Quote Originally Posted by cutbait View Post
    I fish boiling stripers exclusively with Sabikis'....
    This will work at Castaic now. That layer of dink striper that were at 100 ft a month ago are just below 120 ft now. Go get them!

Shad do for a fact take the Sabiki by mouth same as sardines, mackerel, chovies... I also have caught all you want shad at corona on a midge fly. So i'm sure they hit the sabiki as if they were aquatic organisms. I heard the 3 hook sabiki is legal but never confirmed with DFG. If anybody has, please chime in.

If you have no more than 3 hooks, and catch the shad IN THE MOUTH (not snagging) its totally legal.

(1000th post)

JUST GET A DIP NET THEN YOURE GETTING 30 SHAD AT A TIME INSTEAD OF 3,,,,,,,,,,I'LL TELL HOW IT GOES TOMMOROW,,,,,,,,,,,,,t/o,,,,,,,,

How do you guys get the shad into the dipnet, like is there a certain method you use. I tried scooping them up and I couldnt catch any

little bastards are fast as sheit huh? lol

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12