Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: the decline of DVL ....... BLAME IT OF THE STRIPERS..please no catch and release guys

All lakes that are on the aquaduct system should now be considered striper lake. There fore we should treat them like that. Let's start making slot limits so we get bigger fish. The DFg would probably have to fugure that one out. But I would like to see 3-6 lb go free so we could have lots of 7 bers. maybe some more slots to go with it. 10-15 lbs must be repleased, so we would have more 15lbers. u get the idea. maybe set up some sort of a bass farm that is protected from stripers in a net in the lake..maybe a special cove for bass, and they could be removed when they get to a few pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    All lakes that are on the aquaduct system should now be considered striper lake. There fore we should treat them like that. Let's start making slot limits so we get bigger fish. The DFg would probably have to fugure that one out. But I would like to see 3-6 lb go free so we could have lots of 7 bers. maybe some more slots to go with it. 10-15 lbs must be repleased, so we would have more 15lbers. u get the idea. maybe set up some sort of a bass farm that is protected from stripers in a net in the lake..maybe a special cove for bass, and they could be removed when they get to a few pounds.
    Bigger stripers more eggs, more eggs more baby's, more baby's more small fish. Not sure your logic apply's to the world of Mr. Stripey.

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    Gizzard shad compete with young fish for planktonic food important in establishing strong year classes. They also get too big for most predatory fish species to eat attaining sizes upward of 12-14", both of which are counter productive for a recreational fishery. Trust me, there are MANY large stripers in the lake and the biggest threat to their existence is their own spawning activities.

There have been ample, larger brown trout stocked into the lake this fall. SoCal water temps are too warm for lake trout.

Float tubes and sit-on kayaks are not allowed because that is how the water agency set their rules for DVL.

I go to Arkansas twice a year to Lake Ouachita the 12 to 16 inch gizzard shad we fish are ate easily by stripers over 10 pounds. Even the largies are on the 12 inch stuff. Funny thing in Arkansas the local hatchery does largemouth, stripers, hybrid, walleye, crappie, bluegill, and catfish spawning and stocking so they always have a "strong year class"

http://www.arkansasstripers.com/andr...h-hatchery.htm

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    One of the best striper lakes in the country has to me Lake Texoma. They have somewhat of a slot limit. Out of your 10 fish limit, you can only keep 1 over 21 inches. I would like to see that in California.

It is a MAN MADE lake that has been stocked with NON NATIVE fish!! If the largemouth bass population gets too low then they can stock some more!!

Been around since the MID/STAIC/SIL,WOOD/Buena Vista/Quail lake HAYDAYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never will a striper LAKE not eventually be stabilised into a small avg size striper lake,,,,,,,,,if there was a 100 or more miles of river attached to it that the fish could expand out into it would be diferent,,,,,,,,,,,DVL is simply a new adition to this senerio,,,,,,,,,,

I dont think there is a solution,,,,,,,,,maby NO LIMIT on stripers under 30 inches would help ,,probably not though

The LMB will survive forsure though,,,,,,,they did everywhere else,,,,the 1st 15 yrs of a lake is its PRIME ,,,,,,After that it will begin stabilising<NOT DECLINING>,,,,,,,,,Enjoy it while youall can!

TRAIL BLAZER

PS,,,SEAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,This is 1 Dummy s opinion!
    Last edited by trail blazer; 01-11-2013 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fishnbob View Post
    It is a MAN MADE lake that has been stocked with NON NATIVE fish!! If the largemouth bass population gets too low then they can stock some more!!

I can't believe nobody has said this yet.... I agree 100%, its not like the majority of fisherman keep the LMB to eat anyways so why not stock more if the stripers hurt the current population? Does it matter if you catch a freshly stocked LMB or a holdover? I happen to enjoy targeting,catching, and eating stripers however I also release 80% of the stripers I catch to be caught another day. DVL is hard to compare to other lakes because of its size and depth. Hopefully nature will please us all with a world class LMB, striper, and brown trout fishery. A lot of people talk smack on the stripers but its funny to see all the bass guys obviously targeting stripers when the bite is on. Once you hook into a 20+ lb striper and then have it for dinner its hard to not have striper in your blood. One thing I really like about dvl is that its always changing. You think you have it all dialed in and then a few weeks later your honey hole is on dry land. I've caught everything from lmb to 14lbs, bluegil to 3.5 lbs, trout to 12 lbs, catfish to 33lbs, and striper to almost 30lbs and just about every trip out is like fishing a new lake. Everything about dvl is different in my opinion than other lakes, its what keeps me coming back and keeps me sane during the ocean off season. Time will tell but so far even experts have been wrong about what can and can't happen at the jewel. What the fishery will be like in 5, 10, or even 15 years at DVL is all a guess. I don't think we have anything comparable to be able to accurately predict the long term state of dvl's fishery. At this point even the experts opinion is a guess. Gota give Kwin some props for having a vision and doing what he's doing to make the lake the best fishery he can by using facts from the tools he has at hand. For now ill just enjoy the awesome fishery that it is. I'm not trying to ruffle any feathers here, just voicing my 2 cents....

That is not diamond valley lake.

Quote Originally Posted by trail blazer View Post
    Been around since the MID/STAIC/SIL,WOOD/Buena Vista/Quail lake HAYDAYS,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Never will a striper LAKE not eventually be stabilised into a small avg size striper lake,,,,,,,,,if there was a 100 or more miles of river attached to it that the fish could expand out into it would be diferent,,,,,,,,,,,DVL is simply a new adition to this senerio,,,,,,,,,,

I dont think there is a solution,,,,,,,,,maby NO LIMIT on stripers under 30 inches would help ,,probably not though

The LMB will survive forsure though,,,,,,,they did everywhere else,,,,the 1st 15 yrs of a lake is its PRIME ,,,,,,After that it will begin stabilising<NOT DECLINING>,,,,,,,,,Enjoy it while youall can!

TRAIL BLAZER

PS,,,SEAL,,,,,,,,,,,,,This is 1 Dummy s opinion!
    From one dummy to another, I agreee.

Shad/baitfish population is down and fish numbers/size are down period. Deepwater bass fishing with the "magic" needle kills bass period. Lmb only elitists dig their own graves besides being a bunch of whiny babies. Their whole day can be ruined over forgetting their 6lb flouro and the "lucky" watermelon jumbalaya colored limited edition robo worm.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast