Bass Pro Shops   Daveys Locker Sportfishing  Newport Landing Sportfishing   The Fishing Syndicate  Carver Covers  Tight Lines Guide Service  Bob Sands Fishing Tackle  
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: the decline of DVL ....... BLAME IT OF THE STRIPERS..please no catch and release guys

Seal, as much money and time I've spent at DVL vs other lakes. I'll keep going to other lakes and catch fish. Not sure what is confusing about about asking to lower the cost IF they did want help from fisherman IF there was a problem.
    At least I can admit I don't know how to fish that lake and I don't want to blow any more $ to try figure it out.
    If anybody wants to take me out and show me the ropes I will be more than happy to tag along.

Quote Originally Posted by DrePSP View Post
    Seal, as much money and time I've spent at DVL vs other lakes. I'll keep going to other lakes and catch fish. Not sure what is confusing about about asking to lower the cost IF they did want help from fisherman IF there was a problem.
    At least I can admit I don't know how to fish that lake and I don't want to blow any more $ to try figure it out.
    If anybody wants to take me out and show me the ropes I will be more than happy to tag along.
    What I was confused about is that you were mentioning how hard the fishing was but at the same time wanted lower costs, I would think if you found the fishing that difficult you would not want to go back even at a lower cost. But I guess my assumption was incorrect basically you just need help out there, not being a local and not knowing what efforts you have made at the lake the only advice I can give is to explore the lake. DVL from shore is going to take some work, big lake, but I've been there enough to know that there are very productive areas that would take a hike to get to. My experience is you have to be willing to put a lot of work in at big lakes and accept that when patterns change you must adjust, this is the common thread no matter what lake you fish. I've noticed people coming to Silverwood all the time 3 weeks behind the pattern they expect, hell patterns change overnight let alone several days. Took me years to think I'd figured it out, but I still accept the skunks in fact I expect the skunks when big striper fishing!

Quote Originally Posted by kwin View Post
    and what am I to do? The Department have encouraged harvest. The limit is 10 per day with no size restriction. As long as there are stripers in your water source and/or they have the ability to breed successfully (which they do in DVL) they will always be there. Raising the limit is an empty regulation change because most anglers cannot or are not harvesting even 10 in a day. If my angler survey data indicates that is happening, I will look into it. Until then, it remains at 10 per day per person w/no size limit.

Now as a management objective (since they are never going away) I would like to manage for larger average size because I believe that is what the angling public prefers and I have high management standards. I've never heard anyone complain about catching a 20+ lb striped bass. Therefore, in order to acheive that management goal, the objective is to reduce their overall numbers to decrease density dependancy and average size should improve, hence promotion of harvest. Look at Lake Perris for example, striped bass do not spawn successfully there and are only introduced if/when water is moved down from Silverwood....low density equals larger average size. Reducing the density of striped bass should also benefit other species by reducing intraspecific competition for food and space.

The truth is striped bass angling at DVL has increased from 850 hours sampled in 2009 to 11,422 hours sampled in 2011. Harvest rates have increased from 57 reported kept in 2009 (a 52% harvest rate) to 3,459 reported kept in 2011 (a 92% harvest rate). The average size has decreased due to increased densities of the species over that time period despite higher harvest rates. The data collected indicates harvest rates have increased, which is good, though I believe striped bass fecundity out paces angler harvest. The only question is can the amount harvested by anglers be enough to allow appropriate densities to see a larger average size? Time will tell. In the meantime I encourage harvest of striped bass within DVL and every other inland water where they are present to acheive larger average size striped bass.
    How about introducing another forage species for the striper and bass to feed on, Gizzard shad or American shad possibly?

stock sturgeon in there...that will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    How about introducing another forage species for the striper and bass to feed on, Gizzard shad or American shad possibly?
    nope, won't happen.....threadfin shad, inland silversides, Japanese pond smelt, bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish, black crappie, trout, prickly sculpins, 2 species of crayfish and 2 species of freshwater shrimp provide ample forage options.

nope, won't happen.....threadfin shad, inland silversides, Japanese pond smelt, bluegill, redear sunfish, green sunfish, black crappie, trout, prickly sculpins, 2 species of crayfish and 2 species of freshwater shrimp provide ample forage options.
    You forgot catfish, LMB and striper too. Yes there is plenty to eat. I bet the occasional "endangered" delta smelt makes it in there too.

Quote Originally Posted by Voice-of-Reason View Post
    You forgot catfish, LMB and striper too. Yes there is plenty to eat. I bet the occasional "endangered" delta smelt makes it in there too.
    Ummmm, I wouldn't say catfish, LMB, and striper is defined as forage.

Quote Originally Posted by Surfnsnowboard3 View Post
    Ummmm, I wouldn't say catfish, LMB, and striper is defined as forage.
    LOL. Yeah well crappie, sunfish and trout are? Last I heard they were game fish so that's why I included catfish, striper and LMB too to the list by Mr. Kwin cause they all get eaten just the same.

It was just a suggestion, since gizzard shad get a lot bigger than threadfin shad eventually they will grow to a size that only the larger striper can eat and possibly the bigger Large mouth bass. That would allow for even larger striper to thrive in the lake and possibly take some of the pressure of the trout being stocked.

For that matter, how about getting them to plant some more large German brown trout, or maybe even some lake trout?

Also, maybe you can shed some light about the reasons why sit on top kayaks and float tubes are not allowed on the lake?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine_Michael View Post
    It was just a suggestion, since gizzard shad get a lot bigger than threadfin shad eventually they will grow to a size that only the larger striper can eat and possibly the bigger Large mouth bass. That would allow for even larger striper to thrive in the lake and possibly take some of the pressure of the trout being stocked.

For that matter, how about getting them to plant some more large German brown trout, or maybe even some lake trout?

Also, maybe you can shed some light about the reasons why sit on top kayaks and float tubes are not allowed on the lake?
    Gizzard shad compete with young fish for planktonic food important in establishing strong year classes. They also get too big for most predatory fish species to eat attaining sizes upward of 12-14", both of which are counter productive for a recreational fishery. Trust me, there are MANY large stripers in the lake and the biggest threat to their existence is their own spawning activities.

There have been ample, larger brown trout stocked into the lake this fall. SoCal water temps are too warm for lake trout.

Float tubes and sit-on kayaks are not allowed because that is how the water agency set their rules for DVL.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast